Is 32-50MB/s Read Speed fine for a 3.5" Internal HDD (Whilst downloading a game)

Nov 7, 2018
So I was downloading a 1.77Gb update for fortnite and my internet was downloading it faster than my HDD could read it as you can see in the image below I had downloaded over half of the update but the luancher only says 33% complete , is it being restricted by Fortnite? Because the write speeds seem to be fine.

My HDD - Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

https://i.imgur.com/AnH3Cga.png

Solution
It's probably reading and writing back out to disk at the same time. The write speed shown there makes no sense for a platter drive.

This is typical for Steam, even on SSDs. It really depends on the game itself too - some are slower than others to update (I suspect they have a lot of extraction or lots of little files to write out/update).

Lutfij

Titan
How old s the HDD? How many partitions does that drive have? How much free space does the drive have(in each partition, if there are multiple partitions on it)? What sort of a platform are you working off of? System's with multiple background apps can be bogged down.

It's probably reading and writing back out to disk at the same time. The write speed shown there makes no sense for a platter drive.

This is typical for Steam, even on SSDs. It really depends on the game itself too - some are slower than others to update (I suspect they have a lot of extraction or lots of little files to write out/update).

Solution
Nov 7, 2018

Thank you for your answer, I assume there would be a lot of small textures etc being installed.