Question Is 3900X going to be discontinued along with the 3950X launch?

I'm asking because it seems to have been completely unavailable for over two weeks now. All I can find are gray-market units with pricing over $1000. It used to be spotty but in a two to three week period somewhere...newegg, microcenter, amazon... would get stock. For a while, at least, until it sold out.

Microcenter doesn't even provide a listing anymore; it used to list it as 'out of stock'.

I just checked Amazon....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07SXMZLP9/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

As for Micro Center, I didn't see it there either, but I doubt it's been discontinued. If the new TR were lower in price, encroaching on the price of the 3900X, I could see it then, maybe. Other than that, I can't see a good reason to discontinue it.

HAH... at least there's a few gray marketers selling it for less than a thousand.

It's become a commodity and subject to commodity market stresses LOL.

Yeah I'd almost wait until the 4000 series chips at this point.
This is a whole other point of discussion...but I'm wondering just what 4000 series will bring to the table. I can't believe they'll get a whole lot more IPC improvement or surely Intel would have brought that by now if it was doable.

I expect going even more aggressively after efficiency and low-net-power performance. Possibly refinements in the hardware to support even more aggressive intelligent boosting/sleeping behaviour.

This is a whole other point of discussion...but I'm wondering just what 400
0 series will bring to the table. I can't believe they'll get a whole lot more IPC improvement or surely Intel would have brought that by now if it was doable.

I expect going even more aggressively after efficiency and low-net-power performance. Possibly refinements in the hardware to support even more aggressive intelligent boosting/sleeping behaviour.

I'd imagine higher clock speeds once they optimize the 7nm process a bit more. Hopefully they have the BIOSes and Windows support right on launch this time for benchmarks, etc.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
I'm asking because it seems to have been completely unavailable for over two weeks now. All I can find are gray-market units with pricing over $1000. It used to be spotty but in a two to three week period somewhere...newegg, microcenter, amazon... would get stock. For a while, at least, until it sold out.

Microcenter doesn't even provide a listing anymore; it used to list it as 'out of stock'.
I just checked Amazon....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07SXMZLP9/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

As for Micro Center, I didn't see it there either, but I doubt it's been discontinued. If the new TR were lower in price, encroaching on the price of the 3900X, I could see it then, maybe. Other than that, I can't see a good reason to discontinue it.
It not really the outselling issue, but it more likely a shortage issue from the people production these chip s...and have to be deliver to United States from a foreign country.

It still there, but due to major shortage issue it going be hard to even get one...The Ryzen 7 3700X was a popular choice, but it seem to cool down now

If it is sold out, in high demand, there would be little reason for discontinuing it....

I'm guessing there were only so many available for the July launch, and...they are now mostly sold.....

And, given the publicity of this rather quick sellout of this model, the 3950X possibly will not last long... (Hope AMD has an ample supply at launch-time)

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
If it is sold out, in high demand, there would be little reason for discontinuing it....

I'm guessing there were only so many available for the July launch, and...they are now mostly sold.....

And, given the publicity of this rather quick sellout of this model, the 3950X possibly will not last long... (Hope AMD has an ample supply at launch-time)
Mostly due to shortage which is why is easily sold out because they made too little due it being a very new cpu product with 7nm tech..or else you guys got by now.