Is 3L any better than 2L with same hp rating

Hi folks.

For the sake of discussion, two cars both are given 173 horsepower's (as a selling point). One of them have a 2L turbo diesel engine while the other have 3L turbo diesel engine.

That is all that is known. In general - are there any reason why the 3L engine may be better in any way?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi folks.

For the sake of discussion, two cars both are given 173 horsepower's (as a selling point). One of them have a 2L turbo diesel engine while the other have 3L turbo diesel engine.

That is all that is known. In general - are there any reason why the 3L engine may be better in any way?
The 3L will use more fuel to produce that 173 hp. An extra liter of displacement requires a similar increase in fuel, because the fuel to air ratio is relatively constant.
So the 2L probably has higher boost pressure than the 3L. That could make the 3L more durable. The higher boost pressure and smaller total air volume required probably makes the 2L more responsive to throttle input.
There are two questions not asked in your scenario.
#1 What RPM does each engine make 173HP?
#2 What is the peak torque and at what RPM?
Torque is what provides more instant acceleration.

USAFRet

Titan
In addition, what vehicle(s) are involved here?
Unless it is the same model, you need to account for weight, size, functionality.
173HP in my truck is a whole lot different that 173HP in a Civic.

Toyota Land cruiser 173 hp 3.0L vs. Nissan X-trail 177 hp 2.0L.

I have a friend that owns the X-trail and I know he will brag hes loungs off just to proove he has a lottle more boost.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The Land Cruiser is a significantly more powerful SUV (look at twice the torque!). The criticism of the X-Trail (Rogue on the same platform in the US) is that it's underpowered. Not necessarily the worst thing in the world -- my Crosstrek isn't a powerful vehicle either -- but I don't go bragging about how powerful it is!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you are already digging into stats, I will say that I have been VERY impressed at the new line of turbo powered vehicles.
Buddy of mine just purchased one of the new Rangers with that Eco Boost. IDK the exact specs, but a 2.3L 4 cyl engine on a turbo with ~7500# towing. My 5.7L V8 is 10K....

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you are already digging into stats, I will say that I have been VERY impressed at the new line of turbo powered vehicles.
Buddy of mine just purchased one of the new Rangers with that Eco Boost. IDK the exact specs, but a 2.3L 4 cyl engine on a turbo with ~7500# towing. My 5.7L V8 is 10K....

I'd be quite happy if my little Crosstrek had a turbo!

I was considering an Audi RS3 when I bought this a couple years ago, but sadly, my excessive frugality won, as is typical. I mean, I like the car, but it's not as fun as an RS3!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I was considering an Audi RS3 when I bought this a couple years ago, but sadly, my excessive frugality won, as is typical. I mean, I like the car, but it's not as fun as an RS3!

I REAAALLY liked the Audi station wagon, think it was an A series? At the same time we had been looking for a long while trying to find a late 60's Camaro. The '10+ body style really suited the wife, so we ended up with a '13 SS.
I feel like had I hunted a little more and found the Audi we would probably still have it......The Camaro was both fun and awful all at the same time.

Andi_4

Reputable
Aug 27, 2016
The 3l will have lot more torque at a certain rev range. As their both diesel a remap would turn the 3l into a killer. More torque than a torquewrench. Torque is the key if towing caravans,trailers etc. 3l would eat more diesel but not much more. Stage 1 remap with standard parts will push the car to over 200bhp maybe a panel filter and exhaust even more. Bigger Intercooler, then your talking stage 2 250bhp+. I have a Petrol 2.0 turbo 220bhp and i think thats torquey but diesels have alot more torque as its classed as a working engine. Also remember the 3l will weigh more!.

Reactions: Grobe
Jun 14, 2020
Is simple... 3L will have more torque than a 2L even if the 2L is faster with 20-30HP than the 3L.... is a big difference between torque and going fast

TRENDING THREADS