[SOLVED] Is 4 GB enough to create a Win 7 or Win 10 bootable drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
A 64-bit installation of Win10 requires 20GB of free hard disk drive space.

If you mean installation media size, you will need a flash drive of at least 8GB capacity.

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
Is 4 GB enough for creating an all-in-1 Windows 7 or 10 bootable drive?
Also, what do you mean by "all-in-one"? You want to put both Windows 7 and 10 on the same usb stick? Or it's some kind of image from getintopc.com? If so, I doubt about the quality of it. AFAIK an all-in-one image of Windows 7 was never distributed, so it's likely they modified the original images of different edition and bundled them together.

By all in one i mean, an image with all the versions of Windows 7, like this.

It's just 3.8 GB in size.

Is it wrong to use an image like that?

The version of Windows is mostly set by the activation code you use. Those hacked setup disks are not really legal, since, well, they are hacked setup disks. That is why 90% of the people with $100 computers are running $300 versions of Win 7 Ultimate.

Reactions: Sagar_20

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Now i've successfully downloaded genuine Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (August 2018 update) using Windows ISO Downloader and it's taking up 5.68 GB of disk space, while the Windows 7 All-in-one 32 + 64 bit that i got from Softlay only takes 3.81 GB.

According to microsoft, Windows 7 requires at least 4 GB and Windows 10, 8 GB.

I didn't want any trouble so i downloaded the genuine windows.

It's a shame Microsoft doesn't let people download the Windows 7 disc image without key (or with oem key).

Nov 6, 2022
This is to clarify a little bit more. If you use a Microsoft USB Operating System Convert Utility or something like MSI Smart Tool (which add drivers so Win7 can work on Ryzen CPU), they will not work unless you have an 8GB USB stick. However, you can create an ISO file (with utility of your choice) of a genuine Win7 Pro DVD, which comes out to 3.2GB, then use a USB Boot Installer like WinDiskImager to install a bootable USB stick with that ISO image. You can use a 4GB stick (which is slightly smaller than 4GB) to make an installable USB stick. You can do the same with Win10/11 OS with a 6GB stick. I just did this with a Ryzen 5 motherboard I had in my shed with an old Win7 Pro disk I found in a drawer.

USAFRet

Titan
This is to clarify a little bit more. If you use a Microsoft USB Operating System Convert Utility or something like MSI Smart Tool (which add drivers so Win7 can work on Ryzen CPU), they will not work unless you have an 8GB USB stick. However, you can create an ISO file (with utility of your choice) of a genuine Win7 Pro DVD, which comes out to 3.2GB, then use a USB Boot Installer like WinDiskImager to install a bootable USB stick with that ISO image. You can use a 4GB stick (which is slightly smaller than 4GB) to make an installable USB stick. You can do the same with Win10/11 OS with a 6GB stick. I just did this with a Ryzen 5 motherboard I had in my shed with an old Win7 Pro disk I found in a drawer.
3 years later.....

Please don't dredge up ancient threads.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.