is 40-45 degree celsius a good or bad temp for my cpu?

bishal167

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
i dont know which thermal paste or grease i use but i think its a normal one and is pre-applied, my cpu is a bit old but i feel its ok, it is a intel pentium dual-core 2.80 ghz, and a asus P5QPL-AM motherboard and i use the same old windows xp, with about 2 gb ram(1918 mb usable). i want to know if 40-45C is good or bad temp for my pc, if yes what should i do. yes,my room temp is hot cause i live in india :p.

bishal167

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
oh no! i saw my cpu this morning and i was shocked to see :O it was completely dry! nothing on it that looked like a thermal paste or something! and to think i was using my pc for 2 years without thermal paste on it!!! !!!!!!! :O

Azrael47

Distinguished
More importantly what is your CPU full load temperature. The reason why your CPU may be running at these temperatures is because of the climate you live in and the cooling solution you are using. Also how many cooling fans and how you have configured them is important.

adimeister

Honorable
It's not that hard. It's the same as buying a medicine, you don't know what brand you want or what it looks like. But you'll tell the attendant there that you need a medicine for flu, so they'll give you options, prices, how to take it, etc. It's good to do things on your own, start young, be independent. ;)

Reactions: thomas4204

randomizer

Champion

A very thin layer of thermal paste is required for optimal heat transfer (too much actually makes it worse), but the heatsink alone will generally do an acceptable job unless one or both surfaces are very poorly machined. It's not something to be worried about considering that your CPU temp is fine for a high ambient temperature, but you'll want to rectify it when you have the opportunity to do so.

randomizer

Champion

Air cooling is limited by ambient temperature. The higher the ambient temperature, the higher the CPU temperature. You can't expect to be running cool if your PC is sitting in an oven. :)

How hot does your CPU get if you place it under heavy load?

bishal167

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
well i cant persuade my parents to give me a air conditioner on my room? will they? they have it in the other rooms but not in my room........... i will choose to buy a thermal paste instead :)

bishal167

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
well before buying i want to ask.............. the speccy software i got shows that my computer temp is like 60C but when i use the asus pc probe it just shows about 45 or 50..... which one is correct? i state the asus pc probe correct but i want to be sure....