[SOLVED] Is 430w enough just to post my computer?

Jan 30, 2020
My psu recently died on me and because of the Corona virus the rm650x that I ordered is not going to get here for another two weeks. If you need the details on how my pc died, you can look and my other post, but I have reason to believe it didnt break my other parts because it didnt start smoking and stuff and LEDs still light up.
My friend has an old thermal take 430w and I know that's not enough power for me to play anything, but is it safe for me to try to boot into windows to test my hardware and see if it still works? I think if I would to play any games then it might no have enough wattage, but I was wondering if I could just use it to try and get into windows to find out if any of my parts are broken.

Parts:
Mobo: asus tuf b450-plus gaming
Gpu: powercolor red devil rx 590
Cpu: ryzen 5 3600 w/ stock cooler
Hdd: wd blue 2012 1Tb
Ram: g.skill ripjaws 2x8 3600mhz cl16

Thanks for any help you can give.

Solution
Dang with my original psu it only had one 6 pi.n and I ran my gpu with that one 6 pin before i bought the adapter for like a year so idk. Thanks for the help though i probably won't try it then. I might have an old 750 that I can put in instead and then test the parts. Would that be just as risky?

I'm surprised it even ran with the one 6-pin.

But, yeah, if you've got an old GTX 750, that should be fine. You'll just have to go through the steps of uninstalling the AMD drivers and installing the Nvidia drivers, but that GTX 750's demands are low enough that it should work without trouble with that old Thermaltake. I believe (not sure) the GTX 750 doesn't have any PCIe connectors on it.

kanewolf

Titan
My psu recently died on me and because of the Corona virus the rm650x that I ordered is not going to get here for another two weeks. If you need the details on how my pc died, you can look and my other post, but I have reason to believe it didnt break my other parts because it didnt start smoking and stuff and LEDs still light up.
My friend has an old thermal take 430w and I know that's not enough power for me to play anything, but is it safe for me to try to boot into windows to test my hardware and see if it still works? I think if I would to play any games then it might no have enough wattage, but I was wondering if I could just use it to try and get into windows to find out if any of my parts are broken.

Parts:
Mobo: asus tuf b450-plus gaming
Gpu: powercolor red devil rx 590
Cpu: ryzen 5 3600 w/ stock cooler
Hdd: wd blue 2012 1Tb
Ram: g.skill ripjaws 2x8 3600mhz cl16

Thanks for any help you can give.
You may have to find a lower power graphics card. If that power supply has the required power connections it should boot. That graphics card requires one 6-pin and 1 8-pin supplemental power.

Jan 30, 2020
You may have to find a lower power graphics card. If that power supply has the required power connections it should boot. That graphics card requires one 6-pin and 1 8-pin supplemental power.
I have a sata to 8 pin connector adapter because I had problems with my previous power supply connectors so that shouldn't be a problem. But your saying it is safe for me to boot into windows as long as I'm not drawing too much power?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have a sata to 8 pin connector adapter because I had problems with my previous power supply connectors so that shouldn't be a problem. But your saying it is safe for me to boot into windows as long as I'm not drawing too much power?
I would not use such an adapter.
Most of Thermaltake's PSUs are not particularly good.

I would not take that kind of a chance with this.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Not even just to test the hardware? I would literally just try and boot into windows then turn off the computer and take the psu out.

It's a gamble. It may work just fine, it may fry the wires, it may fry the PSU, it may take out some other components with it.

It's like having one bullet in a 6-shooter. You can point it to your head and pull the trigger. The odds of you dying are much less than the odds of you living, but would you take that chance?

Jan 30, 2020
It's a gamble. It may work just fine, it may fry the wires, it may fry the PSU, it may take out some other components with it.

It's like having one bullet in a 6-shooter. You can point it to your head and pull the trigger. The odds of you dying are much less than the odds of you living, but would you take that chance?
Dang with my original psu it only had one 6 pi.n and I ran my gpu with that one 6 pin before i bought the adapter for like a year so idk. Thanks for the help though i probably won't try it then. I might have an old 750 that I can put in instead and then test the parts. Would that be just as risky?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

But, yeah, if you've got an old GTX 750, that should be fine. You'll just have to go through the steps of uninstalling the AMD drivers and installing the Nvidia drivers, but that GTX 750's demands are low enough that it should work without trouble with that old Thermaltake. I believe (not sure) the GTX 750 doesn't have any PCIe connectors on it.

Solution
Jan 30, 2020

You're right it doesnt. If I'm not trying to do anything on the pc do I have to uninstall drivers? I'm quite literally just going to boot it up to see if my parts are fried or not then turn it off.