Question Is 45-50 degrees Celsius good idle temps?

Aug 7, 2022
image.png

I recently upgraded my motherboard and my cooler and i got the Asus ROG Strix B550-F gaming and with it i got the Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo since my Ryzen 5 5600x would reach 70 degrees with the stock cooler on idle.

Now with my new cooler, my idle temps (measured using the NZXT app and the Armoury Crate app by ASUS), my idle temps are around 45-50 degrees. Should i ramp up my fan speeds a bit more or are those good for idle? Also, i havent gotten the time to do some gaming with my new setup yet, but when i do i will see how the temps go there.

Im uploading my current temps and fan speeds. if you guys need any more information, let me know

Honestly? That is a bit warm but no matter. I run around 8C above ambient so, 28C right now (5800X3D). A lot depends on your chassis and CPU fan configuration and profiles. Many fan curves default to a very low speed to keep things quiet under low load conditions, allowing a bit higher temperature than you may expect or want. It's the (full) load temps you want to check if you think you have an issue.

If it's bothering you the B550F (I have the same board) has some fan profile choices in the BIOS under Qfan or something on the top menu bar. You can use your fan control software to set that up otherwise. I prefer the BIOS curves so I can avoid installing yet another piece of extra software from a third party. My profiles are rather aggressive and I have a lot of chassis airflow, hence the low temps. As long as you below 90C full all core load it's fine.

DSzymborski

Titan
Idle temps don't really matter unless they're highly unusual. Thermal margin is basically a resource that CPUs try to use to different degrees to improve performance. And basic changes to settings like PBO will change idle temps significantly without anything being wrong.

What really matters is what your temperatures at load are.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Idle temps don't really matter unless they're highly unusual. Thermal margin is basically a resource that CPUs try to use to different degrees to improve performance. And basic changes to settings like PBO will change idle temps significantly without anything being wrong.

What really matters is what your temperatures at load are.
My temps scale just fine. Maybe the OP needs to fix his idle tems first. Something doesn't seem right.