[SOLVED] Is 450w psu enough for i5 10400, gtx 1660, 16gb

Apr 2, 2022
Recently i bought gigabyte gtx 1660 and before that, I was running pc without any GPU with 450w PSU.
Full specs: i5 10400, gtx 1660 6gb, 16 gb corsair vengeance lpx ddr4, samsung evo 970 500gb, kingston ssd 120gb,seagate barracuda hdd 1tb, 4 120mm fans

Psu details: coolermaster mwe 450w 80+
Is 450w psu enough to handle all this specs?

for curiosity purpose i took risk and actually ran god of war 4 at original setting 900p fsr quality with gtx 1660 and gpu was taking 55w power average and 65w max.
in future my psu will damage along with all my pc components if it fails?
should i continue with 450w psu or spend money on more watts psu and how much watts should i get??

Solution
450w should be enough if it was a quality psu. trouble is the cooler master you have is not the worst thing ever made but it is close!!

i'd replace it on principal alone. when it fails it will likely take parts with it. to be safe look at 550w as a minimum for that system with a quality psu. if you need some suggestions, we just need to know a budget and where you are looking to buy from.

edit: as a side note, those psu calculator things online are all crap and not worth the space they waste on the internet. i have never seen one that was even close to accurate or worth using.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
450w should be enough if it was a quality psu. trouble is the cooler master you have is not the worst thing ever made but it is close!!

i'd replace it on principal alone. when it fails it will likely take parts with it. to be safe look at 550w as a minimum for that system with a quality psu. if you need some suggestions, we just need to know a budget and where you are looking to buy from.

edit: as a side note, those psu calculator things online are all crap and not worth the space they waste on the internet. i have never seen one that was even close to accurate or worth using.

Reactions: solocop2244
Solution

TRENDING THREADS