Question Is 450watts enough?

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
Hello! Ok so, Im planning to OC ryzen 3 2200g with b450m HDv also with an Rx 570 4gb (phantom gaming D). I have my 450w 80+ PSU ready, but is it enough though?? Or should I buy a new PSU with higher Voltage?

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
Oh yeah.. about that, I live in indonesia, so you probably never heard of what this model is, but I'll tell ya:

1stplayer gaming PSU black SIR 450w Efficiency up to 80%

Don't think you can find any of that in amazon

Hello "Spirals",

Please AVOID using that PSU model....That's a cheap generic branded PSU/ 1STPLAYER , not recommended for Gaming rigs.. This unit won't even provide that much wattage output as labelled.

Don't SKIMP on the PSU. I can't stress this enough. Grab yourself a HIGH quality PSU from reputed brands like EVGA, SEASONIC, ANTEC, CORSAIR, just to name a few....

Also, make a note of this.

The total wattage number of any PSU is not always really the most important deciding factor, primary concern is the 'quality' of power it produces, and the total capacity of the 12V source etc.

A cheap generic/standard low-end PSU is prone to failure soon, than the units made by reputed brands like SEASONIC, Corsair, BE QUIET, EVGA Supernova, PC Power & Cooling, ANTEC (except earthwatts series), XFX, Super Flower, OCZ, just to name a few.

The OEM also matters a lot, instead of the actual PSU brand. I've seen PSUs labelled as 1K watts, but in actual real world scenarios, they can hardly pull 400 Watts from the wall, even under full load.

I've always given the topmost priority to PSU when building any RIG, and I mostly go for Tier 1 and/or Tier 2 units, because we know a TITANIUM/Platinum/Gold PSU is going to be much more efficient under 50% load, than a bronze/silver or a generic 80 plus certified PSU. But the exact Wattage requirement still varies from system to system, and if we plan to Overclock the GPU/CPU, then the PSU should have some headroom as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spirals

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
Hello! This is a pretty straightforward question..
Is the Antec "Atom v550" any good? (NOT vp550)

*EDIT: I just wanted to say that I wanted to put this Power Supply w/ an Rx 570.

Last edited:

Hello,

That seems to be some basic/generic PSU, if I'm not mistaken. They haven't mentioned whether it's Bronze/Gold, or it has got some other certification. Could be a simple 80 PLUS unit, IMO.

Also, I couldn't find the total AMP drawn on the +12V RAILS.....But it seems to be a multi-rail PSU. Anyways, I suggest you grab some other high quality PSU to power the RX 570. Look for upper TIER power supply units, if possible.

Don't skimp on the PSU. This is the MOST important component of any PC/GAMING RIG. ANTEC is a well known brand though, but this particular unit seems to be a basic one, at least in my opinion.

Where are you located, btw ? What's your Budget as well ?

Last edited:
Don't skimp on the PSU. This is the MOST important component of any PC/GAMING RIG.
This is one of those statements that needs to be forefront in the mind of anybody thinking about an upgrade or new build.

ANETC is a well known brand though, but this particular unit seems to be a basic one, at least in my opinion.
It does have 2 - 12VDC rails, but I have to say that I'd opt for an 80+ certified PSU, if I were you.

You may find this to be a helpful read.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Short 2 year warranty gives you a clue that it is not high quality. No 80+ certified to save verification costs.

Antec VP Series are equivalent of Corsair's VS series PSUs. They are the worst Antec has to offer. Tier 4 at best. It will probably provide 400w of power on the +12v rail.

Reactions: Spirals

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
Hello,

That seems to be some basic/generic PSU, if I'm not mistaken. They haven't mentioned whether it's Bronze/Gold, or it has got some other certification. Could be a simple 80 PLUS unit, IMO.

Also, I couldn't find the total AMP drawn on the +12V RAILS.....But it seems to be a multi-rail PSU. Anyways, I suggest you grab some other high quality PSU to power the RX 570. Look for upper TIER power supply units, if possible.

Don't skimp on the PSU. This is the MOST important component of any PC/GAMING RIG. ANTEC is a well known brand though, but this particular unit seems to be a basic one, at least in my opinion.

Where are you located, btw ? What's your Budget as well ?
I'm from indonesia, I'm also on a budget of uh.. $400 to $500ish.. (in my country it is IDR 6 million, to 7 million)

Well, please consider that you are better-off buying the better power supply rather than risking what you have, or will buy, on a power supply that is borderline, at best.

I have never seen a situation where a person absolutely COULD NOT wait a little longer, and save a bit more, to purchase quality products for a a new build or upgrade.

Don't fall into the trap of false economy. It usually costs you more in the long run.

Reactions: febisfebi

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
Well, please consider that you are better-off buying the better power supply rather than risking what you have, or will buy, on a power supply that is borderline, at best.

I have never seen a situation where a person absolutely COULD NOT wait a little longer, and save a bit more, to purchase quality products for a a new build or upgrade.

Don't fall into the trap of false economy. It usually costs you more in the long run.
That is somewhat useful advice, why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the feedback!

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Reading the comments this seems like quite a garbage PSU. I recommend going for a SeaSonic brand PSU whenever because they are always quality with a long warranty unlike this Antec PSU. If the SeaSonic is outside of your budget, my advice is saving up a bit more because if your PSU fails/blows up, its probably gonna take out more than just your unit, you could end up with a dead motherboard, graphics card, etc...

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
ok so, I want to use this PSU for overclocking, just so you know im gonna overclock the ryzen 2200g w/ b450m (and a deepcool Gammaxx 200t) pairing them with the RX 570 4gb. Any volunteers?

*Edit: so I know most of you will answer "the cx450 is a great value ps-" I know it is, but I just needed more options, a little bit more..