Question Is 450watts enough?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
Hello! Ok so, Im planning to OC ryzen 3 2200g with b450m HDv also with an Rx 570 4gb (phantom gaming D). I have my 450w 80+ PSU ready, but is it enough though?? Or should I buy a new PSU with higher Voltage?

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
Hello! I'mma just make it quick and straightforward here, my budget here is under $50, I need your help to pick some of the pretty decent PSUs, oh just so you know hardware pricings are cruel in Indonesia, by that I meant the Cx/Cxm series costs $80 USD, I will be using this PSU for pairing an Rx 570 with an overclocked ryzen 3 2200g.

Any advice would be very meaningful ;)

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
The Corsair VS650 is a bronze certified 650w power supply for less than £50 in the UK. Hopefully it’s cheap where you are too. Looking at the reviews it all looks positive and has a 3 year warranty so should be reliable.

Reactions: Spirals

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
The Corsair VS650 is a bronze certified 650w power supply for less than £50 in the UK. Hopefully it’s cheap where you are too. Looking at the reviews it all looks positive and has a 3 year warranty so should be reliable.
But I heard the VS series is garbage? alot of people hated the Corsair vs series. Also do you really need that much power on a mid range build? Just asking

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
you are not going to find anything great under $50 Corsair CX is still budget series for $80 down there. Look for Antec VP or Seasonic ECO
Ok, maybe up the budget a Little bit. Under $60 then, any suggestions now? Also I don't want anything too great, I just want them to NOT explode nor burn my other components

Last edited:

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
Ok, guys this is my build
Rx 570 4gb
Ryzen 3 2200g (planning to OC)
B450m HDV
That's it, is it good enough? Will it explode? If it's true, anymore recommendations? (I'm on a really tight budget, why else do I pick this one?)

This is probably currently your best bet for a somewhat inexpensive unit. Spending about 15 bucks more will get you a moderately better unit, but this is decent quality and a somewhat newer release for Seasonic although it IS a group regulated platform. Spending a little more to get a DC-DC platform would be better.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12III 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $49.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-19 00:13 EDT-0400

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
This is probably currently your best bet for a somewhat inexpensive unit. Spending about 15 bucks more will get you a moderately better unit, but this is decent quality and a somewhat newer release for Seasonic although it IS a group regulated platform. Spending a little more to get a DC-DC platform would be better.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12III 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $49.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-19 00:13 EDT-0400
What about the s12ii 450w? Or MWE 450? Either way, here's the link to the retailer. https://www.enterkomputer.com/psu.php
If you would wish to help me research? Finding a pretty decent PSU

Note: My budget there is IDR 750.000 maximum, which is pretty much the same as $50 ish

Last edited:
You need a minimum 500w unit, and it needs to be a good 500w unit. The S12II or M12II 520w units would work fine for that system. No Haswell era or newer C state requirements so group regulated units, while not the best and lacking some more modern protections, is at least a solid platform for it's time. It could work and they are not junk units like Cooler master or Thermaltake (To name just a couple of well known brands. Obviously, there are a lot of junk power supplies out there with less obvious credentials).

Sorry man, there just ARE NOT any units even worth considering in the price range you want. The best option, for the least price, on that website, is the S12II-520w and that is about 100,000 IDR more than what you are wanting it to be at. If you go with the 450w model, you might make it within budget, but that is cutting things very close in terms of capacity.

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
You need a minimum 500w unit, and it needs to be a good 500w unit. The S12II or M12II 520w units would work fine for that system. No Haswell era or newer C state requirements so group regulated units, while not the best and lacking some more modern protections, is at least a solid platform for it's time. It could work and they are not junk units like Cooler master or Thermaltake (To name just a couple of well known brands. Obviously, there are a lot of junk power supplies out there with less obvious credentials).

Sorry man, there just ARE NOT any units even worth considering in the price range you want. The best option, for the least price, on that website, is the S12II-520w and that is about 100,000 IDR more than what you are wanting it to be at. If you go with the 450w model, you might make it within budget, but that is cutting things very close in terms of capacity.
Alrighty then, forgot to tell you.. I found a good psu, I think most of you will agree on this, I found Pure Power 10 but it only has 400w but it is exactly what I wanted, $55 flat. But maybe, the quality can overshadow the less power?.. can it?

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
The VS series are not reliable and the worst PSU that Corsair slaps thier label on.
To be fair he set a low budget and I gave him a suggestion that falls within his specification. You won’t get anything A* for that price, we’re looking for C- quality stuff here. The VS650 has scored averagely in professional reviews and customer reviews are mostly positive. If it does have a high failure rate then Corsair will be busy replacing them due to its 3 year warranty. Maybe it’s the best of a bad bunch?

What would you suggest he get now that he has put his budget up since his original post.

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
But I heard the VS series is garbage? alot of people hated the Corsair vs series. Also do you really need that much power on a mid range build? Just asking
Dunno if it’s garbage, I don’t have one. It has scored averagely in professional reviews and has mostly positive customer reviews. You might not need all that power but at least you won’t be running it at maximum which may help reduce the risk of failure.

Edit: Tom’s Hardware just posted a review for it today, by coincidence. Take a look and see what you think. If I were looking to build a cheap as possible PC I would be confident buying it, having read the review here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-vs650-psu,6017.html

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The newer version of the VS is heaps better than the older version, but both are still on the shelves, especially in the Indo-Asiatic market. Seasonic S12-II / III is also a viable alternative that's usually on the low budget list. Nothing by Thermaltake!

bignastyid

Titan
To be fair he set a low budget and I gave him a suggestion that falls within his specification. You won’t get anything A* for that price, we’re looking for C- quality stuff here. The VS650 has scored averagely in professional reviews and customer reviews are mostly positive. If it does have a high failure rate then Corsair will be busy replacing them due to its 3 year warranty. Maybe it’s the best of a bad bunch?

What would you suggest he get now that he has put his budget up since his original post.

I'd suggest not skimping on the psu and spending a bit more to get something decent even if they have to wait a bit while they save up a little more money.

Pure power 10 is "ok". Not great, not terrible. Should be ok, EXCEPT that it is only 400w. That is going to be problematic. Good quality can sometimes overcome low capacity, to a degree, because often a very good unit can actually output more than what the label indicates, however that is NOT a "very good" unit of the type I am referring to. That would be something along the lines of a high end Seasonic, Super Flower, FSP or Flextronics build unit. Even those companies have lower end platforms that wouldn't cut the mustard regardless of whose brand name label was on the unit.

You REALLY want to try and get at least a 500w unit. Bare minimum, period, should not be less than 450w IF it is a very good model. When a unit is just ok or is mediocre, you really don't want to be skirting the edges of minimum capacity because it's very likely to create problems.

What about the s12ii 450w? Or MWE 450? Either way, here's the link to the retailer. https://www.enterkomputer.com/psu.php
If you would wish to help me research? Finding a pretty decent PSU

Note: My budget there is IDR 750.000 maximum, which is pretty much the same as $50 ish
In your link there is a couple of Antec VP units 500 and 600watt they are decent budget units and will suffice, I would go for the 600watt which is at 750.000

No wonder this thread turned into something that it wasn't before. LOL.

I second the motion on the VP units by Antec. They too are not great, but they are ok, and at 500w should be sufficient for the RX570 and the rest of the system. Certainly better than trying to run with a 400w Pure power unit.