[SOLVED] Is 4790k still good enough for gaming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thecooldean

Honorable
Sep 2, 2016
I have a 4790k with 1080 ti and 16 GB of RAM, and have a 100 Hz 3440x1440 monitor, but GTA V struggles to maintain above 80 FPS, does getting a better cpu like the 9900k improve the frame rate?

Solution
Not going to bother reading all the comments since your answer is very simple. And I didn't even need to find the video to tell you what it is.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYQoPi9j1tE

View: https://youtu.be/8CSP-CtEzXw?t=217

GTA 5 is very demanding and doesn't really provide a lot more fps with newer CPUs. I barely had a 4770k and lasted me well over GTA 5 with my 1080ti. I had to change it cause the motherboard was dying probably. The fps gain vary from game to game but the 4790k should OC even better than mine and should provide decent fps.
Unless you have a real reason to change it, you shouldn't. And check specific games if you get more...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Might want to check cpu usage in single vs online. Online can be pretty rough for cpus.

If cpu usage is higher online compared to single, have a look at trying to reduce background services to free up resources, especially for the primary core. Things like disable Cortana, make sure Windows game bar recording isnt on. Web browser or communication apps, move the process to the least busiest core using affinity in task manager. If Geforce Experience is running, close that off too. Just to help the primary core best you can and allow it focus more on game stuff and improve thread efficiency.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1 - The game's installed on 860 EVO SSD.

2 - low latency mode is off, texture filtering is set to quality (default), threaded optimization is set to "on" and power management is set to "prefer maximum performance".

3 - Internet speed is 250 Mbps with less than 1ms ping to the preferred server.

4 - I do use the steam browser for watching youtube (not all the time though)

It is also worth mentioning that when I am the host of the session (as evident from resource manager internet connection, with connections to amazonaws cloud service), I get a lot of fps drops and stuttering, could this be because of the peer to peer connections where my PC is handling everything as the host?

All I want is a frame rate above 80 fps in GTA V, 60 fps looks too sluggish for some reason.
Oh man, P2P... I wish Nintendo wouldn't run P2P on their multiplayer games.
If just ONE person in the group has a crap connection, then EVERYONE will have a bad time.

Reactions: boju
A 9700K or 9900K will drive the 1080Ti much better than the 4790K which was a great CPU and still is but you are after a bit more with the 1440p UW and the 97 or 9900K should bridge the gap.....but factor in a decent Z390 motherboard and DDR 4 3200 or 3600 though RAM has come down so much in price....

Or go Ryzen in the 3700 or above though for pure FPS I would still go Intel...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Resolution doesn't matter to the cpu. You can run 4k and have the same fps output from the cpu as at 1080p. The gpu is the limited factor in resolutions.

The cpu will give what it gives, and a better, stronger, higher IPC, faster clock cpu with larger Lcache is going to give higher fps capability, single or multithreaded doesn't matter as long as the cpu has the threads to handle it.

It's not the ping that lags in jerks, it's the other players info. They need to get all their info to the server, which then sends it to you. If there's any slowdowns, it's mainly due to the upload, not the download speeds. And traffic.

Lag in jerks is on your end, your pc isn't processing the info and sticking it on screen as fast as its receiving it, so you get skips when the next packet starts before the last is finished. This can be due to ram capabilities, mc, or cpu in general, especially on quads without the benefit of HT in multi-player.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Resolution doesn't matter to the cpu. You can run 4k and have the same fps output from the cpu as at 1080p. The gpu is the limited factor in resolutions.

Yeah. When future graphics cards are able to do solid 120+ fps in 4k or even 8k for that matter, the same scenario applies. As you said, cpu can only pre-render so much. The confusion regarding resolution and component load shift is common.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it is. Very common. Because cpus have traditionally been far stronger than gpus. Cpus were capable of over 100fps years ago, so getting a better gpu increased fps, but still didn't match what the cpu could output. It's only recently that gpus have caught up and are capable of more fps output than the cpu can field, and thats not on the cpu, that's on the complexity of the game code slowing fps down.

So somebody playing gta5 and getting 60fps on a 1060 at ultra buys a 2080 and freaks out cuz he spent all that money and is still getting 60fps at ultra.🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

thecooldean

Honorable
Sep 2, 2016
I also noticed my CPU temps while playing GTA V goes up to 80 degrees celsius, could it be thermal throttling? Also, all the cores of my cpu while running GTA are below 50% but the clock speed is 4500 MHz, is that ok? I mean what's the difference between cpu load and core frequency.

Cioby

Distinguished
Not going to bother reading all the comments since your answer is very simple. And I didn't even need to find the video to tell you what it is.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYQoPi9j1tE

View: https://youtu.be/8CSP-CtEzXw?t=217

GTA 5 is very demanding and doesn't really provide a lot more fps with newer CPUs. I barely had a 4770k and lasted me well over GTA 5 with my 1080ti. I had to change it cause the motherboard was dying probably. The fps gain vary from game to game but the 4790k should OC even better than mine and should provide decent fps.
Unless you have a real reason to change it, you shouldn't. And check specific games if you get more fps with a new CPU or not. For GTA 5, the CPU doesn't get you 100 fps regardless of what you do, unless you lower settings.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The cpu will always work at 100% ability. It'll shove game code through as many times a second as it can, processing all of it at 4.5GHz. That's fps, frames per second. If it can pre-render 10 or 100, that's what it can do.

The load % is somewhat different. That's how much of the cpus resources that it takes to get that 100% ability.

Imagine if you had to hammer 10 nails into a block of wood. And do it as fast as possible. You'd grab a nail, stand it and whack that nail with a 22oz hammer as fast as you are able. That's your ability. What you didn't do was whack that nail as hard as you could. You still had plenty of strength in your arm left. Even a really strong person (stronger cpu) would use less strength, same speed, and a young boy (weak cpu) would require a higher percentage of strength.

So even though your cpu is working to the best of its ability, it's not using all the bandwidth, all the Lcache, all of its throughput in order to get that 100% and this shows up as usage. Usage of resources, not usage of ability. A higher speed cpu can process more frames than a slower cpu in the same timeframe

Reactions: thecooldean