[SOLVED] Is 48gb of RAM possible in my set up?

AlienObs

Prominent
May 23, 2019
Hello all!
I'm currently running with a MSI B250m Mortar MoBo, and have 32gb of RAM, 4x8gb DIMMs . I'm thinking of upgrading the RAM, as I am a music composer and sample libraries need lots and lots of it (running the current project, task manager was reporting 800MBs free of the 32gigs, making things, unstable at times....)
As I don't have more free slots for more sticks of it, I was thinking of replacing the 8gb DIMMs with 16gb ones. Is it possible to make the transition in stages? More specifically:
  1. Can I replace just one stick, making the total 40gb?
  2. If not, I will have to replace 2 DIMMs of 8's with one 16gb one, leaving one slot unused, totaling again 32. Then could I populate the free DIMM with another 16gb DIMM, and leave the other 2 slots with the 8gb sticks, totaling 48gb? (2x16 + 2x8)

Is any of the above possible? It would be ideal for me both money-wise, and for my use (I can't imagine needing more after that...... (that's what I said when I got the 2nd 2x8gb ones...))

PS. My RAM sticks are these: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2400MHz (CMK16GX4M2A2400C14), and the one I'm thinking of getting is this: (CMK16GX4M1A2400C14) , same frequency and CAS Latency.

Thank you!

Solution
As always, mixing RAM may or may not work.
There is no way to say "100% yes it will work".

Recommend you just buy a 4x 16GB set, for 64GB.
For what you are doing, I would definitely buy a matched set. To be honest, when you're starting to get up into memory capacities of those sizes, you really need to move to a workstation platform that's using registered ecc modules for stability and even more capacity.