[SOLVED] Is 50°C ok for a gpu temperature when watching youtube

AlchoRe

Prominent
Jun 6, 2021
I overclocked my gpu, but a few days later I set everything back, the fan speed is at 100 (MSI AFTERBURNER) but when watching youtube the temp is 50-55°C, is that ok? I have a GTX1650 Super

Solution
Yep it is
THERE'S your weakest link: the single fan heatsink's thermal capacity is low.
They are a lot like the boxed Intel stock coolers.

You won't be able to significantly improve thermals on the card because of that part...

Actually, I take that back. An undervolt might help a little - reducing both power and voltage use instead of letting the card draw as much as it wants all willy-nilly, thus increasing the soak time for the little heatsink.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hitting those temps would be more normal for fanless mode and watching YouTube.

There's a big difference between safe temps and acceptable temps. For me, 50-55°C at 100% fan is not acceptable for that workload. Even though it's well into safe.

As @hotaru.hino pounted out, that could be nothing more than bad case airflow keeping your gpu in a Hotspot and not supplying it with plenty of intake air.

AlchoRe

Prominent
Jun 6, 2021
Hitting those temps would be more normal for fanless mode and watching YouTube.

There's a big difference between safe temps and acceptable temps. For me, 50-55°C at 100% fan is not acceptable for that workload. Even though it's well into safe.

As @hotaru.hino pounted out, that could be nothing more than bad case airflow keeping your gpu in a Hotspot and not supplying it with plenty of intake air.
I have a Zalman S5 with 1 120mm in the front and 120mm in the back, is that good or should I maybe add one or two more fans in the front? If yes which do you recommend, that are cheap and good?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yep it is

You won't be able to significantly improve thermals on the card because of that part...

Actually, I take that back. An undervolt might help a little - reducing both power and voltage use instead of letting the card draw as much as it wants all willy-nilly, thus increasing the soak time for the little heatsink.

Solution

AlchoRe

Prominent
Jun 6, 2021

How to do that?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How to do that?
Quick/short version:
-Get Msi Afterburner, if you don't already, and make use of the option to save profiles.
-Make sure the gpu voltage graph is active. If it isn't, open Settings > Monitoring tab, and scroll down to Gpu voltage, click the check sign, then click Apply.
-With Afterburner active in the background, run your games, and see how much voltage the gpu requests(max). That'll be the 'starting point'. Write it down or memorize it, if need be.
-Open the Curve Editor. You are then presented with your gpu's voltage/frequency curve. You will see numerous points that you can click on.
-Simply click on a point with voltage lower than the max requested voltage, lock it with the L key, and click Apply on the main HUD.
-Remember to save profiles - experiment with different points.
-When you're done playing, click the Reset button on Afterburner.

AlchoRe

Prominent
Jun 6, 2021

Dont worry I just undervolted it to 1900mhz at 850mv
The temperature is now about 8-9°C down!
THANKS A LOT

Reactions: Phaaze88