Is 50-60 Degrees Celsius fine while playing games like Fortnite or Beamng Drive?

dogester366

Reputable
Jan 2, 2018
I just got my new PC built and during full load, The CPU gets up to 50-60 degrees Celsius. I made sure I mounted the cooler right and put enough thermal paste. (About a millimeter thick) I am using an Intel Core i5-7500 with the stock cooler. I am using thermal paste from Cooler Master.

Solution
what are your idle temps? 50C~60C is very good actually compared to most while playing games. you only need to worry if its always spiking to above 85C~90C until your system would shutdown/restart itself when it hits critical temps

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
what are your idle temps? 50C~60C is very good actually compared to most while playing games. you only need to worry if its always spiking to above 85C~90C until your system would shutdown/restart itself when it hits critical temps

Solution

dogester366

Reputable
Jan 2, 2018

My idle temps are around 35-40 Degrees Celsius

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
then thats fine with the cooler you have. no worries.
when you do consider reapplying paste in the futre when you notice temps are rising esp on idle. you can use either get arctic silver 5 or noctua nt-h1. im sure there are other better pastes out there. but ive relied on these for a long time and they give me good temps.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
what brand of fans do you have? you can download HWMonitor. to check the rpms and temps of every part of your system.

stock cooler fans tend to sound "noisy" and thats expected compared to aftermarket ones. all you need to worry is your temps. you will be glad later on once youve decided to pick a better cooler and actually tell the difference.

dogester366

Reputable
Jan 2, 2018

Which fans? Are you talking about the case fans, the CPU cooler fans or the GPU fans?

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
"The fans sound like they are working very hard though so it worries me"
the fans you were referring to. there are fans with oil ball bearings that runs at high rpms but with less noise compared to the stock fans you have in your chassis and your cpu. you can go to the "pcpartpicker" to browse completed builds. or you can open up a new thread here to ask about what chassis fans/cpu coolers are good. if you intend to spend more money to improve your system.

dogester366

Reputable
Jan 2, 2018

I was referring to the Intel stock cooler. Do you think I should upgrade to this? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/93Crxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7 Is it even compatable? My pc: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FWR9xY

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
yes this is a reliable, popular, budget improvement over stock fans for non-overclocked cpus. teh alternative is teh hyper 212 evo. but dont expect a huge jump on temperature improvement. maybe around minus 5~8C but it will be relatively quiet compared to the stock fan you have. if you have a regular size atx tower then no worries on height clearance.

dogester366

Reputable
Jan 2, 2018

My worry is that it won't work.
I tried the Hyper 212 Evo and it didn't work because my case didn't have mounting points for the screws. There was only holes in the motherboard where the screws would go so I couldn't screw them in.