[SOLVED] Is 500 watts enough for a rx 570

Jan 26, 2020
So a friend just gave me a rx 570 bc i REALLY needed a gpu, i had a integrated one before so yeah.

My pc was built with crappy components and ive been re-building it over time.
It had: 4 gb ram, a integrated radeon hd 8370d, a dual core 3.70 ghz cpu and overall <Mod Edit> components for gaming.
So far ive replaced the ram with 12gb, a 1tb hard drive and just got the gpu.

In short, i have a 300* watt psu and im wondering if it will be enough for that card
Edit: Im also gonna replace my cpu shortly, so please give suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Yeah, a hard no. It's a 300W PSU for all intents and purposes and a lousy one at that. No active power factor correction like it's 1988. OP, this is not a "run the GPU for now until you get a better one" situation.

accessrandom

Reputable
Feb 12, 2018
www.youtube.com
According to AMD, the power requirements for the reference RX 570 is 150W, and they recommend a 450W PSU. Based on the other components in your system and even with a future CPU upgrade, you should be fine. Just make sure your power supply has the correct connector for the card (6-pin or 8-pin).

Jan 26, 2020
According to AMD, the power requirements for the reference RX 570 is 150W, and they recommend a 450W PSU. Based on the other components in your system and even with a future CPU upgrade, you should be fine. Just make sure your power supply has the correct connector for the card (6-pin or 8-pin).
Oh i was also gonna say that. My psu doesnt have the pcie connector and im getting a molex to pcie 6pin adaptator, im guessing it will work but still not sure.
Should i get that or just buy a new psu?

Jan 26, 2020
I mean yeah but currently i have literally no money, not a single dollar. So will it work?
Im just saying, meanwhile i save money for a good power supply can i use that?, will it damage the card or do anything bad?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news. I wouldn't want to use the power supply like that. It may work, but then your power supply may very well at best go out, or may decide to take the rest of your computer with it. I've ruined a new motherboard using cheap power supplies before.

Specifically, what power supply is it and does it show the 12v+ rating on the side?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hexwdpvruq4ei8m/Screenshot_20200126-003114_Samsung Internet.jpg?dl=0

Linked a photo I found and did a screenshot.

Here's another link where it appears one is for sale. Maybe someone else will understand more of it.

But that power supply looks like a potential fire waiting to happen at least if a decent card is hooked to it.