[SOLVED] Is 500mb/s load and save speed disc enough for me?

Mar 9, 2019
I'm on a budget and i want to buy a fast SSD and i don't know what speed do i need. Am i going to see a big difference between 500mb/s and 1000mb/s when playing games?

Solution
Unfortunately everyone focuses on the sequential speeds. Outside of a few esoteric tasks (mainly video editing and file encryption and compression), it's the 4k read/write speeds which make the most noticeable speed difference. The reason is simple - the small file 4k speeds are the slowest (typically 30-120 MB/s), so your SSD spends the most time handling them. So they're what bottleneck your SSD.

So ignore the sequential speed benchmarks (unless you're doing video editing or lots of file compression). Get a SSD with fast 4k speeds, and you'll be happy. Aim for a minimum of 30 MB/s 4k reads (queue depth = 1). 70 MB/s 4k writes as a minimum. The 860 EVO typically hits 45 MB/s 4k reads, 120 MB/s 4k writes. If you're severely...
Unfortunately everyone focuses on the sequential speeds. Outside of a few esoteric tasks (mainly video editing and file encryption and compression), it's the 4k read/write speeds which make the most noticeable speed difference. The reason is simple - the small file 4k speeds are the slowest (typically 30-120 MB/s), so your SSD spends the most time handling them. So they're what bottleneck your SSD.

So ignore the sequential speed benchmarks (unless you're doing video editing or lots of file compression). Get a SSD with fast 4k speeds, and you'll be happy. Aim for a minimum of 30 MB/s 4k reads (queue depth = 1). 70 MB/s 4k writes as a minimum. The 860 EVO typically hits 45 MB/s 4k reads, 120 MB/s 4k writes. If you're severely budget-constrained, try the MX500 - it usually scores about the same or slightly slower.

Solution
Mar 9, 2019

So ignore the sequential speed benchmarks (unless you're doing video editing or lots of file compression). Get a SSD with fast 4k speeds, and you'll be happy. Aim for a minimum of 30 MB/s 4k reads (queue depth = 1). 70 MB/s 4k writes as a minimum. The 860 EVO typically hits 45 MB/s 4k reads, 120 MB/s 4k writes. If you're severely budget-constrained, try the MX500 - it usually scores about the same or slightly slower.
Is Crucial BX500 as good as MX500?