Is 52 Celsius good for a semi-busy Ryzen 5 1600 with Aftermarket Cooler?

Zhubinator

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
I just built my first PC and even though nobody here tried to help me with my mobo not responding, I eventually figured it out with the help of a friend. If you can be kind enough to help me this time, I'll appreciate that. I went for the beQuiet Pure Rock Slim as the reviews were really good, and after a mild overclocking to 3.6 and upping the voltage to low 1.3s, I noticed at normal states, when online and such, the temps on Ryzen 5 1600 stay around 45 to 55 degrees celsius. I am not so sure if that is the way it's supposed to be. I am a little disappointed here. Should I get another CPU cooler like the Coolermaster 212 Evo, or is 52 Celsius normal for Ryzen 5 1600 at 3.6ghz. I used the cpu manufacturer's own thermal paste. But I have the Arctic thingy now. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Solution
One thing you should learn to get over pretty quickly when doing these things is to not go off of what you "feel" is right and instead read up on reviews and the results other people get when using similar hardware to your own, as well as testing conditions. Overclocking is seriously a crapshoot and you cannot ever assume that your hardware will perform on par or achieve identical results to someone else's even if you have identical components. The best you can hope for is that your own results will fall in line with the expectations set by community collaboration, and then work your way up from there.
I'm not sure why you'd be disappointed, those temps aren't very high for any cpu. That said it's too hard to say and almost impossible to make any determination about temps being good or bad under fluctuating usage. Temps change with use, use changes with the applications all throughout the task. It's best to develop a baseline of temps using min (idle) and max (full use). Anything in between doesn't matter as much and will fluctuate with use. There's no measurement for 'semi busy'.

Consider running prime95 or other stress tests to get an idea of what max temps are under full load. That's the bigger concern since that's when the cpu is most likely going to overheat/throttle and shows what the cooler is capable of. All cars are the same speed at idle, similar with cpu's. Unless you have a really poorly mounted cooler the idle temps aren't nearly as important. Idle is with the pc sitting and left alone for roughly 5min or so, no interaction, no antivirus scans or updates or anything else going on. Cpu usage should be around 1-2% or less. (It can be impossible to eliminate all background tasks totally).

Most testing for cpu temps and cooler performance is done around 22c, what many consider 'normal' room temp. Ambient room temps can change with seasons and location, if you live in a hotter climate and it's summer your ambient room temps may be closer to 30c. As ambient room temps rise so does cpu temperature. You can't cool a cpu below ambient with an air or aio cooler so ambient is your resting temp before the pc is even powered on. At 30c (hotter room temp) your cpu and air in the case tasked with cooling it is already 8-10c hotter. Not saying your room is hot or not, just to be aware it has an impact.

If someone else with that cpu and that cooler are only reaching 65 tops at load under a full stress test, you may not achieve the same if your room isn't as cool as theirs. If your case and airflow isn't the same as theirs and so on. Minimal differences are normal. When it's time to be concerned or worried about a problem is if most everyone else's cpu is topping out at 65c under stress (as an example) and yours is 80c or 85c.

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
I'd say that's perfectly acceptable. Most review sites really only test both power draw and temperatures at either stock or max overclocked settings (~3.9-4.0GHz), and they usually have voltage around 1.4+ with temps reaching up to high 70s/low 80s. You're still well within the safe limits of the chip, and your cooler is doing just fine, nothing to be disappointed about. Just try to find the max voltage/frequency that lets you stay under mid/high 70s for the sake of longevity, as running 1.4+ volts for 3.9-4.0GHz should only be done on a liquid cooler.

The ryzens do idle pretty high in all fairness , low to mid 40's seems to be the norm just sat at desktop.

You should never every really worry about idle/low usage temps , they tend to be fairly unreliable.

Run an aida64 or Intel burn test stress test - see what you max out at under 100% load .
If it's below 75c you're absolutely fine because with a 1600 you're very very unlikely to ever push the CPU that much in real world use.

Zhubinator

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

Zhubinator

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Thanks a lot. I will try the stress test but I don't wanna fry the poor CPU either! I still feel like the cooler should be doing a better job, my room is fairly cool.

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
One thing you should learn to get over pretty quickly when doing these things is to not go off of what you "feel" is right and instead read up on reviews and the results other people get when using similar hardware to your own, as well as testing conditions. Overclocking is seriously a crapshoot and you cannot ever assume that your hardware will perform on par or achieve identical results to someone else's even if you have identical components. The best you can hope for is that your own results will fall in line with the expectations set by community collaboration, and then work your way up from there.

Solution

Zhubinator

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

Probably.Thanks. I might lower the frequency back to factory settings again. I don't wanna hurt the cpu to get a tiny bit more out of it.