Is 55℃ acceptable to a PSU?

Matthew Wai

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
I recently bought SilverStone ST30SF (V1.0) , whose product page says its fan will not start spinning unless its internal temperature has reached 55℃. Do you consider 55℃ acceptable to a PSU?

4745454b

Titan
55C isn't bad for a CPU or GPU, but that's much to hot for a PSU. Those are normally rated for 50C max, not 55C. I'd be very surprised the fan was set to turn on at 55C. Here is JG review of that unit.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=368

Tests one and two the fan was off. Note that it's not just temp that decide the fan speed, but load as well. You can tell because test 3 has lower temps than test 2, but the fan was off on test two because it wasn't outputting 50% of its capability. 50% of output with 32C temps means the fan turns on, while 40% of it's output at 33C means the fan is off.

I'm not sure where you see 55C means the fan turns off. (Unless I'm looking at the wrong PSU.) I would not at a PSU hit 55C. That's too hot for a PSU.

4745454b

Titan
85C would be a horrible idea as the main cap is rated for either 85 or 105C. To run the main cap that close the edge is just a bad idea. 55C with an 85C main cap isn't bad. But if the PSU is rated for 100% output at 50C, and you run it at 55C, that's running it out of spec. Typically you'll see lower output with more temps. So if it's rated for 100% at 50C, you might see it also rated at 90% at 55C, or 90% at 65C. It's hard to find this info however. And every platform will be different. 50C is my hard upper limit simply because that's the common rated temp.

The original green label CX platform was rated for 30C. 55C would probably kill it.

Latest posts