Question Is 550 watts enough for Ryzen 3700x/3800x + rtx 2060?

TheHeavensRise

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
I am upgrading my i5 6600k to either a ryzen 3700x or a 3800X and if I was wondering if my psu should be enough. Should I upgrade or will I be fine?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hard to say. You'll be moving from a 95w cpu that even with decent OC might not see 150w, to a cpu rated @ 105w with an unknown max power draw. Either of the Ryzens could possibly be like the 9900k, 95w rated but will draw upto @ 250w before OC. It's not like they aren't flagship cpus.

On top of that, your actual pdu loads are also unknown, if it's just a cpu, then probably no worries, but if you have a monster pc draw and high OC already, and are seeing system loads in excess of 400-450w, adding in a cpu that pulls an extra 100w above that could land you in trouble. The 2060 is in your favor, it's a really low draw card for its ability

That's just negativity speaking, it's a possibility. You won't know for sure until you see what your loads are really, vrs what the demands are on reviewed cpus. Which hasn't happened yet. So nobody can give a definitive statement of yeay or nay, just a best guess based on scuttlebutt/gossip/insider info leaks/prior history and experience.

Assuming any raid hdds are being moved to the Nas, or are already there, and assuming an absurd 250w power draw on cpu, 170w on 2060, that'll put your pc at @ 520w, which is doable on the Seasonic as most loads will only ever hit @ 70% of that or @ 360w. So realistically there shouldn't be a problem with that psu and the Ryzens. If they hit less than a 9900k, bonus.

Last edited: