[SOLVED] Is 550 watts PSU good enough for Ryzen 7 1700 and a GTX 1650 ?

Feb 8, 2022
im about to buy the Ryzen 7 1700 and im not sure if 550 watts is good enough
Here are my current specs
GPU:Gtx 1650
Ram: 16gb 2666mhz
3 fans
1 ssd and 2 hard drives
Mobo: A320MH from biostar
current power supply is cv550 80+ bronze
i am not planning to upgrade anytime soon once i buy the ryzen 7 1700

Solution
Yikes i suppose ill just change it back to the cv 550 then? and the cv550 should be enough for the ryzen 7 and gtx 1650?

Yes, but again, no overclocking.

I concur with the others: the CV would be a far better PSU than that Awake one.

And to note SID's concern, there is no listing for 80 Plus anywhere for Intelligent, Awake, AK700, or anything else I can find related to this PSU. Unfortunately, unscrupulous companies repackage the nastiest junk and slap fake 80 Plus ratings on them all the time. This practice is especially common in Eastern Europe and Southeast Asia and it's gross.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The 1700 is a fairly impressive chip where it comes to its performance to power. If you leave it alone the power draw isn't very much, but if you choose to OC it can pull quite a bit more than its 65W TDP. Where I wouldn't have concern about the PSU, I would be considering the VRM on that A320 mobo.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the going rate on a (presumably used) 1700 now?

Feb 8, 2022
The 1700 is a fairly impressive chip where it comes to its performance to power. If you leave it alone the power draw isn't very much, but if you choose to OC it can pull quite a bit more than its 65W TDP. Where I wouldn't have concern about the PSU, I would be considering the VRM on that A320 mobo.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the going rate on a (presumably used) 1700 now?
If you mean by the price on my area its around 80 to 180 usd
Also what do you mean about my motherboards VRM? i dont really know anything about those. Does it mean i gotta replace my mobo?
(Sorry for my bad english)

Feb 8, 2022
CV550 is a poor PSU with group regulation. Group regulated PSUs are not recommanded for any system since Intel came with the C6/C7 powerstates on Haswell in 2013.
i got 60$/3500php right now can i buy a decent psu for around that price range? i wasnt really planning on buying a psu since i was mainly saving up for the ryzen 7 1700

Feb 8, 2022
Hey sorry for the late reply but i just bought a new psu it was the
Intelligent Awake AK700W
its 700 watts and 80 plus bronze wich should be enough right?
I agree with @--SID-- , this unit is a junker. Doesn't output more than 550 on the 12v rails. The 80+ Bronze is probably not even certified.

Get something decent.

You should have asked us before dumping cash on that firestarter.

Reactions: ValorantPlayer
Feb 8, 2022
I agree with @--SID-- , this unit is a junker. Doesn't output more than 550 on the 12v rails. The 80+ Bronze is probably not even certified.

Get something decent.

You should have asked us before dumping cash on that firestarter.
Yikes i suppose ill just change it back to the cv 550 then? and the cv550 should be enough for the ryzen 7 and gtx 1650?

DSzymborski

Titan

Yes, but again, no overclocking.

I concur with the others: the CV would be a far better PSU than that Awake one.

And to note SID's concern, there is no listing for 80 Plus anywhere for Intelligent, Awake, AK700, or anything else I can find related to this PSU. Unfortunately, unscrupulous companies repackage the nastiest junk and slap fake 80 Plus ratings on them all the time. This practice is especially common in Eastern Europe and Southeast Asia and it's gross.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution