Feb 24, 2020
Hi

I’m pretty much gonna upgrade my entire pc next month and I’m now wondering if my current PSU is good enough for the new setup (according to https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator it is good enough). The current PSU is 550W max. The setup will be this:

i9-9900k cpu
Freezer 34 esports duo cpu cooler
Nvidia rtx 3070 gpu
4x DDR4 8gb RAM
Gigabyte z390 aorus pro motherboard
Samsung PCIe 512gb SSD
3x 120mm rgb fans
And then a bunch of USB’s such as gaming mouse and keyboard, webcam, speakers, headset and then my monitor which is a 35” LED using a display port cable.

I don’t know how much of that info you really needed but I thought I’d include all of it just in case.

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Ouch that’s a bit of a bummer but I’m glad that I know that now. Is there a certain brand, wattage you name it that I need to look for. I don’t know a whole lot about PSU’s as you can probably tell so I don’t know what half the thing you just said mean :/

Since your buying new I would go ahead and get 650 watts and try to buy from their A or B.

EDIT good PSU.
https://dk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020178-na

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
The age of your PSU is also a factor, albeit a potentially minor one. But assuming your PSU is relatively decent, you should be OK. I don't know about the power draw on those USB speakers and headset you mention, but excluding that you should weigh in at a total power consumption of about 400 - 450 watts.

Reactions: wattbot

Siusiujuju

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Hi

I’m pretty much gonna upgrade my entire pc next month and I’m now wondering if my current PSU is good enough for the new setup (according to https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator it is good enough). The current PSU is 550W max. The setup will be this:

i9-9900k cpu
Nvidia rtx 3070 gpu
4x DDR4 8gb RAM
Samsung PCIe 512gb SSD
3x 120mm rgb fans
And then a bunch of USB’s such as gaming mouse and keyboard, webcam, speakers, headset and then my monitor which is a 35” LED using a display port cable.

I don’t know how much of that info you really needed but I thought I’d include all of it just in case.

It's Very risky here. There are people running 700watt PSU getting crashes on a 3080 , and it wasn't until they get a bigger 850 or 1000 that the problem goes away. If you input your config into one of those PSU calculator such as https://seasonic.com/wattage-calculator , you're drawing about 500watt and Seasonic recommends a 650 PSU. When you load a 550 watt PSU with that much load, the power isn't gonna be stable and it's gonna run Hot. Nvidia recommends a Min of 750watt.
Do a Google for Ampere power requirement. At the end of the day. you're building a new system, 750watt PSU it's not a lot of money for a bit of assurance is it? you need to consider future proofing as well as efficiency , a PSU Running full capacity is never efficient. a 50-60% draw is the best.
if you buy something >750watt, you should be able to keep it for your next upgrade, Think about the time and stress you'd go through if the 550 is crashing your system.

Last edited:

Siusiujuju

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Hi

i9-9900k cpu
Nvidia rtx 3070 gpu
4x DDR4 8gb RAM
Samsung PCIe 512gb SSD
3x 120mm rgb fans

dtXifjxt3yZzh2dLJ2Q8Z5-970-80.png.webp

Hi

i9-9900k cpu
Nvidia rtx 3070 gpu
4x DDR4 8gb RAM
Samsung PCIe 512gb SSD
3x 120mm rgb fans

• The eSports cooler might be a bit small for the 9900k.
  • 2x16 would be better than 4x8 ram.
  • A 550 Watt PSU is probably a bit small for that system.

Last edited:

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
If you input your config into one of those PSU calculator such as https://seasonic.com/wattage-calculator , you're drawing about 500watt and Seasonic recommends a 650 PSU.
Funny, I put his system into that calculator and, without the USB stuff, it showed a power draw of 396 watts. That's a long, long way from needing a 650w PSU. In fact, it's essentially identical to the "400w-450w" I stated in my first post.

It's Very risky here. There are people running 700watt PSU getting crashes on a 3080 , and it wasn't until they get a bigger 850 or 1000 that the problem goes away.
And there are people who have constant nerve pain until they get a copper "magnetic" bracelet too. I realize I'll never convince the "bigger is always better" crowd, but hope springs eternal. If your PSU can't reliably supply its full rated wattage, that's a problem with your PSU. The last 3080 review I saw mated the card to a 125w Intel CPU. The measured power draw from the wall under max load was 523w, which means the PSU was supplying roughly 470w. Meaning even that system will run perfectly fine with a good 550w PSU. And both the gpu and cpu in it have a substantially higher power draw than what the OP states he has.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Funny, I put his system into that calculator and, without the USB stuff, it showed a power draw of 396 watts. That's a long, long way from needing a 650w PSU. In fact, it's essentially identical to the "400w-450w" I stated in my first post.

And there are people who have constant nerve pain until they get a copper "magnetic" bracelet too. I realize I'll never convince the "bigger is always better" crowd, but hope springs eternal. If your PSU can't reliably supply its full rated wattage, that's a problem with your PSU. The last 3080 review I saw mated the card to a 125w Intel CPU. The measured power draw from the wall under max load was 523w, which means the PSU was supplying roughly 470w. Meaning even that system will run perfectly fine with a good 550w PSU. And both the gpu and cpu in it have a substantially higher power draw than what the OP states he has.
It was more the power spikes of the card. They would spike well above the cards TDP.

Edit will the 3070 have the same problem nobody knows yet.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
It was more the power spikes of the card. They would spike well above the cards TDP.
The link showed a 20-millisecond wide spike to 600w total power consumption. A decent 600w PSU should handle that fine. Even a poor-quality 700w PSU should. No need for an "850 to 1000w" supply, as the previous poster stated. And in any case, the spikes are apparently gone with the new driver.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The link showed a 20-millisecond wide spike to 600w total power consumption. A decent 600w PSU should handle that fine. Even a poor-quality 700w PSU should. No need for an "850 to 1000w" supply, as the previous poster stated. And in any case, the spikes are apparently gone with the new driver.
With even the new drivers it's still showing spikes on just the 12 V PCI-E rail to almost 450 watts.

I never said you needed a 1K watt PSU.

The question was if his 550 watt PSU was enough to add a 3070. Still unknown since he was reluctant to ever list the one he has. Some would go up in smoke if you pulled 300 watts from them.

For this statement.
Even a poor-quality 700w PSU should

You can't say that some of the really poor ones will pop way before 750 watts.

EDIT the 9900K has a PL2 of 210 watts look that up if you dont know what it is.

Last edited:

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
I never said you needed a 1K watt PSU.
That was directed to @Siusiujuju, who did say just that.

The question was if his 550 watt PSU was enough to add a 3070. Still unknown since he was reluctant to ever list the one he has... he 9900K has a PL2 of 210 watts look that up if you dont know what it is.
Yes ... even adding that into calculated power draw for the OP's system, we're still below 550 watts. Your point about PSU quality is well made. And certainly, were he spec'ing an entirely new system, I'd recommend 600w+, just for future headroom if nothing else. But the fact remains that any 550w PSU that meets its specifications will very likely be enough for this system. Some don't meet those specs, but many do, and some exceed their specs. My spouse's system, for instance, is running -- and running stably -- a 175w 2060 Super and a 65w cpu on a 250w OEM supply. The recommended PSU for that combo is 450watts+.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi

i9-9900k cpu
Nvidia rtx 3070 gpu
4x DDR4 8gb RAM
Samsung PCIe 512gb SSD
3x 120mm rgb fans

You need to list the exact power supply make and model or a link to it to get a intelligent answer without that nobody knows.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's Very risky here. There are people running 700watt PSU getting crashes on a 3080 , and it wasn't until they get a bigger 850 or 1000 that the problem goes away. If you input your config into one of those PSU calculator such as https://seasonic.com/wattage-calculator , you're drawing about 500watt and Seasonic recommends a 650 PSU. When you load a 550 watt PSU with that much load, the power isn't gonna be stable and it's gonna run Hot. Nvidia recommends a Min of 750watt.
Do a Google for Ampere power requirement. At the end of the day. you're building a new system, 750watt PSU it's not a lot of money for a bit of assurance is it? you need to consider future proofing as well as efficiency , a PSU Running full capacity is never efficient. a 50-60% draw is the best.
if you buy something >750watt, you should be able to keep it for your next upgrade, Think about the time and stress you'd go through if the 550 is crashing your system.

it's NOT about Wattage and nothing else - it's also about whether the PSU model in question is a quality PSU or not.

Low quality PSUs will not be able to reliably deliver anywhere near what they claim. A high quality PSU is going to be able to sustain a much higher load as a percentage of its total rating far better than a low quality PSU.

Bigger = better is a dangerously false premise.

Reactions: wattbot and Endymio
Feb 24, 2020
You left out a very important part. The make and model of the psu.
Oh my bad I didn’t realise that was essential as well. It’s the “fourze pc power supply 550W 80+“. Unfortunately I’m only able to find Danish links to it which I don’t think will help too much but I hope the information above will be enough!

Feb 24, 2020
You need to list the exact power supply make and model or a link to it to get a intelligent answer without that nobody knows.
Fourze power supply 550w 80+ is what it’s listed at, unfortunately I can only find danish links to it which I doubt will of much help but I hope that the name will be enough!

Feb 24, 2020
Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate that you take your time to help me out here. Several of you told me to add the make and model of my PSU and so this is the information I can give. The PSU is listed as “fourze power supply 550W 80+”. I can only find danish links sadly but I hope it’s enough!

Feb 24, 2020
Annnnnnd..... scene.

Double forward, group regulated, only 432W on the +12V rail and an undersized primary side. Cheapest of the cheap. I wouldn't use that PSU to charge a 9V battery.
Ouch that’s a bit of a bummer but I’m glad that I know that now. Is there a certain brand, wattage you name it that I need to look for. I don’t know a whole lot about PSU’s as you can probably tell so I don’t know what half the thing you just said mean :/

bignastyid

Titan
Oh my bad I didn’t realise that was essential as well. It’s the “fourze pc power supply 550W 80+“. Unfortunately I’m only able to find Danish links to it which I don’t think will help too much but I hope the information above will be enough!
Nope, it's kinda junk. 12v rail is only a max of 432w, so it's not really even a 550w PSU. It's more like a mislabled 430w unit. Makes you wonder what else they are lying about. Plan on getting a new PSU with the new build.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Since your buying new I would go ahead and get 650 watts and try to buy from their A or B.

EDIT good PSU.
https://dk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020178-na

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS