Question Is 550W Power supply decent enough to run RTX 2060??

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
I was using GTX 1060 used card. Then it stopped working. So I'm planning to buy a new gpu probably RTX 2060. In specs recommended psu is 500W and I have Corsair CX 550W psu. But I was wondering if it won't be too much for my PSU as I want my PC to be stable for long-term. Do I need to upgrade for safer side? many says its completely fine and many says better to upgrade for safer side. I don't have much budget to buy another psu. Still would like to know your thoughts.
PS: Not looking to buy any AMD gpu I know RX 6600 is a good option due to driver issues and all.

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
What they recommend has nothing to do with anything, they have no clue what the rest of your PC parts use.

The RTX 2060 uses from 160 to 185 watts depending on the model. about 40 more than your 1060.
Agreed that's what I thought. But I don't know why in Youtube all of them are using 650W or more something. Also in power supply calculator outervision Power draw is not that much but its recommending 600 or higher.🤷‍♂️

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Great Wall or CWT OEM, depending on the serial RPS number, DC-DC minors and LLC, the CX isn't too shabby for a entry level psu. Much better than the CX-M, VS, CS lines.

It'll handle a 2060 just fine, no worries unless paired with something stupid like a xx700k/xx900K Intel cpu.

There are no green label CX 550s.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/54dvvz/psa_corsair_has_two_cxm_psu_models_green_logo_bad/

They did have older models that did have green labels as you can see.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/CX-SERIES/p/CP-9020015-NA

I used to build systems using the things. I’m not THAT old. At least from about 2010-15 or so they were green until they changed the label. I thought I’d heard later that those units weren’t the greatest. I think they were in more around the time of the gtx 700 series. If I recall I think I remember rebuilding a boutique gaming pc(can’t recall which of the 2 brands for sure I’m thinking of), but remember that the liquid cooler failed, and took out the gpu and motherboard. I think it was an i7 2600. Ended up rebuilding it with an FX 8350, new board and gpu(didn’t know for sure if the cpu was ok or not). I also remember that we used a hyper 212 so there’d be no more issues with liquid issues in that pc. Ok I feel a little older. That’s been a while lol.

Edit-If I came across a bit snarky I apologize:).

Last edited:

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
Great Wall or CWT OEM, depending on the serial RPS number, DC-DC minors and LLC, the CX isn't too shabby for a entry level psu. Much better than the CX-M, VS, CS lines.

It'll handle a 2060 just fine, no worries unless paired with something stupid like a xx700k/xx900K Intel cpu.
No no I have Ryzen 3 3100. 3 120mm fans including cpu fan, few USB devices, Wifi card and, 1ssd and hdd that's it

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020

Thanks. How about 3060? the power draw is same but why in recommended psu it shows 650w where in 2060 it shows 500w. 🤔🤔

According to nvidia it appears 550 is recommended for the 3060. The 3060 per the specs should run. Personally I’m either case after upgrading the gpu I’d consider that the next thing to upgrade should likely be the power supply.

Keep in mind that as power supplies age they can’t put out the amount of power they did when they were new. Personally I like to to overbuy the power supply a little just to have extra headroom. It sounds like the newer cx power supplies like yours are better, but low quality power supplies can take out your components if they go out.

Reactions: RajTheGeek

bignastyid

Titan
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/54dvvz/psa_corsair_has_two_cxm_psu_models_green_logo_bad/

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/CX-SERIES/p/CP-9020015-NA

I used to build systems using the things. I’m not THAT old. At least from about 2010-15 or so they were green until they changed the label. I thought I’d heard later that those units weren’t the greatest. I think they were in more around the time of the gtx 700 series. If I recall I think I remember rebuilding a boutique gaming pc(can’t recall which of the 2 brands for sure I’m thinking of), but remember that the liquid cooler failed, and took out the gpu and motherboard. I think it was an i7 2600. Ended up rebuilding it with an FX 8350, new board and gpu(didn’t know for sure if the cpu was ok or not). I also remember that we used a hyper 212 so there’d be no more issues with liquid issues in that pc. Ok I feel a little older. That’s been a while lol.

The older green models were 500w and 600w, there was no 550w model until the update. Hence my statement of there not being a green labeled CX 550.

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
According to nvidia it appears 550 is recommended for the 3060. The 3060 per the specs should run. Personally I’m either case after upgrading the gpu I’d consider that the next thing to upgrade should likely be the power supply.

Keep in mind that as power supplies age they can’t put out the amount of power they did when they were new. Personally I like to to overbuy the power supply a little just to have extra headroom. It sounds like the newer cx power supplies like yours are better, but low quality power supplies can take out your components if they go out.

Yes thanks

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

Do not confuse CX-M with CX. They are not the same psu. The M was not a moniker for modular. There was green label CX and CX-M, discontinued in 2017 I believe, but the CX family was 500w/600w (often called builder series) not 550w. The 550w wasn't manufactured until 2017 grey label model. The CX-M is group regulated, the CX is DC-DC, very different in design.

While the actual draw of the 3060 and 2060 are similar, the 30 series cards suffer from considerably larger spikes with transient loads. These can reach upwards of 200w in the higher series. So unless you account for that in the psu, such as 600w over 500w choices, the protective circuits will kick in if the spike goes over the limit.

So a 200w gpu with a 100w cpu and 100w worth of drives and fans and rgb etc would normally max out at 400w, and then add 100w spike. So a 500w would be fine as you'd not be using max power. If that was a 150w spike, you stand a decent chance of tripping OCP as you'd be temporarily hitting somewhere close to 500w+, which shuts the pc down mid game. Really annoying and can lead to data corruption with the sudden shutdown. So a 600w is recommended. Not for the actual wattage draw, but to make sure the protective circuits are capable of absorbing the spikes, and not tripping.

The CX is entry level psu, as are the CX-M, CS, VS lines. It's not until you get to the TXM, RM, RXm that you hit the 'gaming' psus that are designed much more heavy duty, and gaming draws are very taxing on a psu. The light-duty CX are really more suited for office use, not gaming use. They'll work, but longetivity is often shorter and the components inside were simply not designed for the hammer blows of higher end gpus.

Last edited: