[SOLVED] Is 550w psu enough for the Asus rog strix rx580 8gb oc ?

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Hi guys I’m sorta new round here but i am building my first gaming/school work pc (maybe streaming too) and i have already got most parts of my build, i will be buying more storage soon i just havent added it to the pcpartpicker list.

Anyways my question is basically the title of this post, the Asus rog strix Rx580 8gb oc, i bought this graphics card for about £189 which I thought is a decent price since some gpus are still quite expensive but Im worried if my Power supply is not enough to power it and the system as a whole, the PSU i have is the Seasonic Focus Gold 550w Fully modular Power supply, will it all work out?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fpx4XP

Edit:i forgot to mention, i heard people say that the minimum psu you need to power it is at least 650w but i wasn’t too sure

Solution
That's plenty.
You've chosen a good quality PSU, and depending on what the rest of your system is and whether or not you're going to overclock, you're looking at about 300W total system power draw. You typically double system power draw to select PSU wattage to leave headroom for capacitor aging, OCing, and because PSUs hit their peak efficiency @ ~50% load (although modern PSUs are pretty efficient through their entire load range).

My main system (in signature below) draws 235W from the PSU, but I've undervolted my RX480 @ 1300MHz.

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Hi guys I’m sorta new round here and this is my first ever build.

Anyways my question is basically the title of this post, the Asus rog strix Rx580 8gb oc, i bought this graphics card for about £189 which I thought is a decent price since some gpus are still quite expensive but Im worried if my Power supply is not enough to power it and the system as a whole, the PSU i have is the Seasonic Focus Gold 550w Fully modular Power supply, will it all work out?

Ive heard/ seen on some other online posts that 650w is the minimum to run this gpu and the other components, did i make a mistake buying this gpu?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fpx4XP

eljoantonyn

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
I have the exact PSU which I bought like 5 years before. SO, I'm wondering if they have updated the design with any new tech or continued with the same design.

Maybe you should get a newer model (focus series) !

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I have the exact PSU which I bought like 5 years before. SO, I'm wondering if they have updated the design with any new tech or continued with the same design.

Maybe you should get a newer model (focus series) !
I bought the PSU already because it was on sale and the PSU was £72 so i thought it was a good deal for a fully modular and Gold certified PSU for that price, the model on the box says it is a “Focus Plus” but i dont think thats a newer model since you said you’ve got the same one but idk.

Do you still use that psu till this day? And how well has it been performing?

eljoantonyn

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
Sorry for misguiding you! :p
I'm having a really slow day!!

I have the older G550 RM 80 Plus Gold model but, your's is the newer Focus series. So, you shouldn't worry about it. Its one of the best PSU in that wattage range according to the reviews.

About my PSU, its sort of acting up lately and I'm in the middle of a troubleshooting session!
But, I'm more inclined to blame the motherboard for this.

Reactions: Reiv_4

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Sorry for misguiding you! :p
I'm having a really slow day!!

I have the older G550 RM 80 Plus Gold model but, your's is the newer Focus series. So, you shouldn't worry about it. Its one of the best PSU in that wattage range according to the reviews.

About my PSU, its sort of acting up lately and I'm in the middle of a troubleshooting session!
But, I'm more inclined to blame the motherboard for this.
Ohh right ahaha! No worries at all! And yeah i heard some good reviews of this PSU aswell thats why i decided to buy it and i hope it’ll last me a while, anyways sorry to hear about your PSU / Motherboard problem, i wish you the best troubleshooting it, and thank you for replying to my post!

Reactions: eljoantonyn
That's plenty.
You've chosen a good quality PSU, and depending on what the rest of your system is and whether or not you're going to overclock, you're looking at about 300W total system power draw. You typically double system power draw to select PSU wattage to leave headroom for capacitor aging, OCing, and because PSUs hit their peak efficiency @ ~50% load (although modern PSUs are pretty efficient through their entire load range).

My main system (in signature below) draws 235W from the PSU, but I've undervolted my RX480 @ 1300MHz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reiv_4
Solution

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
That's plenty.

Okay, thank you for the useful information! I might try overclocking some time and i cant wait to start building my pc soon!