Question Is 60°C Idle bad? What should i do to fix it?

DSzymborski

Titan
That is quite hot and point to something wrong with the cooling solution. Remove your cooler, put on fresh thermal paste and reinstall. Failing that, replace the cooler. If you provide more information as to your specs and the status of any overclock, may be able to help you further with what's going on.

Apr 11, 2019
Thermal Interface Material (TIM or thermal paste) is a must! This is probably why your cpu is running very hot. The thermal paste allows for better contact and thermal transfer between the cpu (IHS) and your cooler. Additionally, you may want to have a peek at your system resources (task manager) and see if Windows is doing something ugly like running unneeded programs 😂

Apr 11, 2019
Possibly but when your in the BIOS temps are usually slightly higher then when your idle in the desktop since the CPU is active in the BIOS and doesn't downclock until idle.
So the CPU only runs at base speed in the BIOS? I had no idea. Guess you learn something new everyday! Although, wouldnt the software get the temperature readings from roughly the same sensors that the BIOS does? If the cpu is already hitting 60°C just in idle there either is a error with the temperature sensors or your cpu isnt making good enough contact with your cooler.

So its an air cooler? With a fan and heatfin stacks. I agree with the mods advice with taking off the cooler and possibly reseating it and applying a fresh layer of thermal paste.

Since OP said something about intending on getting some paste, I'd be curious to know if any paste of any type is currently being used at all...(which would certainly explain 60C temps)

Reactions: Will_1_Am

InvalidError

Titan
Since OP said something about intending on getting some paste, I'd be curious to know if any paste of any type is currently being used at all...(which would certainly explain 60C temps)
Simply knocking on the HSF while cleaning after whatever paste was on it has fully settled over several months and tons of thermal cycles would be enough to cause 60C idle by breaking the packed-down paste.

Apr 11, 2019
Thermal Interface Material (TIM or thermal paste) is a must! This is probably why your cpu is running very hot. The thermal paste allows for better contact and thermal transfer between the cpu (IHS) and your cooler. Additionally, you may want to have a peek at your system resources (task manager) and see if Windows is doing something ugly like running unneeded programs 😂
I completely agree with your thoughts @mdd1963, the way that OP phrased his post leads me to believe that no Thermal paste was used.