Is 600 watts enough power for my system

Rabbicats

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Hello,

I am trying to test whether or not my current power supply (corsair AX850) is causing my audio from my sound card to whine. The only other power supply I have is an OCZ modxtreme pro 600 watt 80 plus. Will it be able to run my system and possibly take over the role of the main power supply in my system?

i7 2600k
reference GTX680
16 gb ram
Asus p8z68-v pro gen3
128gb OCZ vertex 4
1tb WD black
Asus Xonar Essence STX

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 680 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated @ 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.

The OCZ ModXStream Pro Series 600W (OCZ600MXSP), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 42 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 680.

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
In short writing...yes your PSU is enough to power your system. BUT like ko888 said it's " sufficient " so if I were you I'd get a 650W or 700W just so you got some breathing space with the extra juice. If you want to overclock or put in fans etc.