Question Is 6000MT/s the same spead, (as fast as) 6000MHz

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Hi.

I am trying to find DDR5 ram at least 6000mhz, that will fit under a Noctua NH-D15.
I have read that the ram is supposed to be around 32mm high, but cant seem t find any.

I have also read that you can turn put the front fan the other side of the cooler. I'm not sure how legit that would be.
Or raise the fan a 5 mil if needed.

I didnt want to go water cooling.

And wondered about both Speed of MT/s, vs MHZ if I get a 6000MT/s set of ram will it be as fast as 6000mhz.

And also if anyone can suggest DDR5 64gb 6kmhz ram with a low profile.

Thank you for any help.

Reactions: Daynhg

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Hi dwd999
Thank you so much for the information, and the help.

This looks excellent, I couldnt find any white ones at 64gb (2x 32)
Which is not a problem.
But what was, is I coundnt find any AMD versions on Amazon UK. again at 6000mhz, 2 x 32gb.This is the motherboard I am looking at.
But the ram itself looks perfect.

To be clear, 6000 MT/s and 6000 MHZ mean the same thing in this context. Megatransfers is the effective speed and Mhz is the clock rate. Manufacturers of PC hardware have long used MHz to describe the speed of their memory. However it is technically incorrect, for example DDR4 3600Mhz does not actually run at 3600Mhz. It run's at 1800Mhz, but it's effective speed is 3600 MT/s. This is because DDR4 does two operations per clock cycle, so it's effective speed is actually the equivalent of 3600Mhz despite it really running at 1800Mhz. The same is true of DDR5, there is no such thing as 6000 Mhz memory, it actually runs at 3000Mhz. However because it does two operations per cycle it's effective speed is double the clock rate, expressed as 6000 MT/s. To keep things simple and not confuse people, most just say DDR4 3600Mhz or DDR5 6000 Mhz as that's what's meaningful to most people.

Reactions: BlaUno and Daynhg

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015

Nighthawk117

You sir are an oracle of PC information.

Thank you so much for this. THIS really helped. Along with all of your other help.
So 6000Mt/s is basically what people in general (myself included) see as 6000mhz.

Just a more accurate way of describing it. Confusing to the layman, like moi, but you have explaned it brilliantly.

Thank you.

Alex Atkin UK

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
This is why I got the NH-D15S, gives you a bit more clearance.

I've had mine in both configurations and don't find the first fan necessarily does that much, its having one in the middle that does most of the work. Then the exhaust fan is effectively a second anyway, even more on many ITX boards where the heatsink ends up flush against the exhaust.

At the end of the day, check your temperatures, as long as you aren't hitting the max in normal use you may get away without more than one fan on it and if you are, putting the fan higher to clear the RAM might be enough. Ultimately tje NH-D15 is not the best air cooler any more, smaller coolers can do just as good a job, but you work with what you've got.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi.

I am trying to find DDR5 ram at least 6000mhz, that will fit under a Noctua NH-D15.
I have read that the ram is supposed to be around 32mm high, but cant seem t find any.

I have also read that you can turn put the front fan the other side of the cooler. I'm not sure how legit that would be.
Or raise the fan a 5 mil if needed.

I didnt want to go water cooling.

And wondered about both Speed of MT/s, vs MHZ if I get a 6000MT/s set of ram will it be as fast as 6000mhz.

And also if anyone can suggest DDR5 64gb 6kmhz ram with a low profile.

Thank you for any help.
You can mount a 120mm front fan to the cooler the brackets are the same size giving you about 15mm more clearance without raising the fan at all.

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Hi Zerk2012

And thank you for the help, and this information.

When you say fan, would any 1200mm fan work.
For example would one of these be right?

Again I really appreciate the help. This will mak e things a lot easier.

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Hi Alex Atkin UK
To be honest until I read your post I didn't know that cooler exited, yes it would have saved a lot of problems.
But I have already ordered the cooler, and its on the way.

Hi Misgar

I may have to end up doing this. But after reading what Zerk2012 posted, I may be able to pt a 1200mm in place of the 1400 at the front.
I have also read the front fan can be mounted at the rear.
And as the case I'm getting (as far as I know is pretty huge) it may be possible. It really necessary.

I really appreciate both posts, and help.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi Zerk2012

And thank you for the help, and this information.

When you say fan, would any 1200mm fan work.
For example would one of these be right?

Again I really appreciate the help. This will mak e things a lot easier.
Bingo!!!
Notice the mounting points are the exact same but without the extra fan hanging over the mounting holes. (might be more like 10mm but moving it up flush would be 20mm)

Depending on the case you buy you could probably reuse the cooler 140mm fan.

EDIT then if still not enough room moving it up a bit still keeps it lower than the 140mm fan.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wqBjYLmNzk

Last edited:

Daynhg

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Hi Zerk2012
This was super helpful, thank you so much.
Along with all the excellent post, help, and advice form the other guys, and especially Nighthawk117
there ha s been some crazy helpful feedback.

The video is superb.
And looks like a definite way to help me.
I have bought 4 x 120 Noctua fans.
And 1 x 140mm on the bottom, which I think should be enough.
I was going black, but saw the case I am buying, smoked black, and oddly it looked pretty cool with the brown and cream.
Ther is a picture of basically what it would look like on here, and i liked it.
As Im not really LED man.
Even though I think the LED rigs look awesome.

This is the case I have ordered.

I was going to put 3 120mm fans at the front (side)
1 120mm on the back,
And a 140mm on the bottom.

But now if I have to use on of the 120mm on the cooler, The back (I don't think takes a 140mm.
Which means I woud have to do 1 of three things.
1.. Use the 140 on the cooler, and move it up, if I can get ram that will still fit.
2.. Put the 140 on the rear of the cooler, the case should be big enough for this. I hope so, as the 4080 arrived today, and its HUGE!
3. Buy another Noctua 120mm, which I would not do unless had to, as they are 28 pounds each.
This 3rd option would also leave a 140 redundant, as even though I could put int on the base, I don't really want a gazillion fans. Just because of trying to keep running costs as low as poss. (I realise that sounds mean, but the PC is on most of the day.)

But either way, you have shown me it can be done.

Thank you so much.

I now only have 2 last questions. one about M.2 and heat sinks.
And one about installing windows 11 on the M.2, and if I can do that on my existing motherboard, ready for when the other parts arrive, tosave time.
Ill ask on another thread.

Thank you so much again.

Last edited: