is 650w PSU enough for 780 + 750ti as physX?

ThatFinn

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014
So yeah, Im looking into new build and Im curious that if i take 650w psu (Seasonic G-series / s12g), can i later add 750Ti as physx card to my 780?
Specs:
Xeon 1231v3
Hyper 212 evo cooler
16GB ram
780 Twin frozr
840evo 120gb
2 TB barracuda

Solution
it will be enough since 750ti draws power only form the pcie slot (max 75w) so it will suffice as any seasonic 650w is great and has ~54A on the 12V rail sufficient for such setup. the thing is that nvidia gpu as dedicated phyxs isnt really needed since gtx780 is a high end gpu and a very capable with physx.that would be a waste of money.i would invest that money on getting samsung 840pro 240gb . also for such cpu the stock cooler will suffice since you wont be overclocking with it. also for haswell bridge i would be looking into getting a new H97 chipset mobo.
it will be enough since 750ti draws power only form the pcie slot (max 75w) so it will suffice as any seasonic 650w is great and has ~54A on the 12V rail sufficient for such setup. the thing is that nvidia gpu as dedicated phyxs isnt really needed since gtx780 is a high end gpu and a very capable with physx.that would be a waste of money.i would invest that money on getting samsung 840pro 240gb . also for such cpu the stock cooler will suffice since you wont be overclocking with it. also for haswell bridge i would be looking into getting a new H97 chipset mobo.

Solution

ThatFinn

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

Ok thanks for the info! =) Im most likely considering the physx card in 2 years if theres demand for it then, just want to make sure that 650w can handle it then so I dont buy now too small PSU. Going for cheap cooler mainly because it will be quieter than the stock. Currently at here the only H97 mobo is ITX one so cant really tell yet that is h97 worth it.. + h97 vs h87 is mainly the pci-e ssd and SATA express and I've understood that many low tier h97 dont have either of those 2 features? (atleast seems to be the case with low tier z97s)

in two years time 750ti will be a low eng gpu and generally aiming for a high end single gpu config is the way to go.if you are still not happy then sli should be the option (but a 750w psu would be needed),as for the mobo, h87 is still a great one.