[SOLVED] Is 70 Celsius (158 Fahrenheit) good for a CPU?

Apr 6, 2021
When I'm watching videos or browsing the web or in a meeting on my Chromebook, the CPU temp goes to 158 degrees..
Is that good for a CPU? The Chromebook has NO vents or breathing space.. because Google wants it to be 'quiet'

Solution
definitely not "good" for a CPU, but not quite high enough to cause physical damage.

if there's no fans to ramp up the RPMs on;
you can either underclock the CPU or alter power settings to use a lower % of the CPU's possible speed.

why not check the manufacturer forums for users commenting on this particular model.
possibly it's a known issue others have found a solution for.
if not a reported problem; contact support directly and ask them.
definitely not "good" for a CPU, but not quite high enough to cause physical damage.

if there's no fans to ramp up the RPMs on;
you can either underclock the CPU or alter power settings to use a lower % of the CPU's possible speed.

why not check the manufacturer forums for users commenting on this particular model.
possibly it's a known issue others have found a solution for.
if not a reported problem; contact support directly and ask them.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
70C is perfectly normal for electronics. In a chromebook/ultrabook actually very good. 90C would be considered normal there.

TJmax temperature is often 100C, 105C, or higher depending on the component. But general rules of thumb for most integrated circuits (CPUs, GPUs, APUs, SoCs) don't go over 90C. Modern electronics will control their own power output to protect themselves, not really anything to worry about unless the active cooling (where applicable) has failed.

Reactions: dudio

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Sounds about right for a lightweight system with passive cooling; my laptop hits 60+ pretty easily with complete passive cooling. Typical workload for my laptop is the usual documents work and browsing Youtube. Sometimes I do have Zoom or Microsoft Teams running as well.

Yeah this is on Windows, but at the hardware utilization level it won't make much difference. A load is a load.

Apr 6, 2021
What is the processor?
Intel will throttle around 100c.
Ryzen might be in the 85c. to 95c. range.
That is the point where a processor will slow down to protect itself from damage.

running at 70c seems perfectly ok.
Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-E8000 CPU @ 1.04GHz (4 threads, 2.00GHz)