is 70c a good gaming temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarka84

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
I have a new PC with this specs:
i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (with the original cooler)
Gigabyte Z97M-DS3H
Kingston 8192 MB (DDR3-1600) - XMP 1.3 (x2 16gb total)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 g1 gaming
coolermaster b2 - series 700w psu
ATX Midi Tower Case Deepcool Tesseract SW White

when it's idle the temp is around 30c and when playing watch dogs the temp reaches around 72c, is that a good gaming temp and please advise what should I do

thanks

jarka84

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

do you know what could be the cause for this high temp ???

itmoba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Assuming the sensors aren't borked, it's quite possible that you incorrectly applied thermal paste (typical for people new to building their own computers) -- the amount that should be used is very small and it should only be a very thin layer. Anything more than that will cause inefficient heat transfer. If this isn't the case, it may be that there isn't sufficient adequate ventilation.

For a 4Ghz 4690K under load, 72C is fine. However, I myself am curious how much load it is under. I would run a stress test if I was him to 100% all cores and see what it reaches then.

itmoba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
The TjMax of the processor may be 105 Cº, but the processor is clearly overheating. In my experience, I don't hit above 65° C, even under full load with a stock cooler. The processor temperature is beyond the practical acceptable limits -- such temperatures can and will lead to failure more quickly.

What CPU do you own?

The 4Ghz 4790K uses a lot more power than any I5 or any lower frequency Intel CPU.

High temperatures will not shorten the CPU's life span for it to actually matter or be discussed... Increasing voltage will however reduce it's lifespan, but not "high" temperatures...

Increasing voltage doesn't have to mean an increase in temperature if it's "managed", but increasing voltage still means that you're putting more stress on the electronics, regardless of what temperature it's running at. Silicon (inside CPU) will degrade a lot quicker, however, neither of these, especially since Intel has got a set "normal" range of temperatures (including TJMax), will not degrade the CPU far enough, for it to actually matter. As you would of upgraded already, before that happens.

itmoba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

I have an i7-4790K and an i7-2600K, thank you very much. I don't have any i5s because I think they're rubbish.
If you ask me, I have quite a number of computers and laptops.

I have a i7 4790K at stock and with a EVO TX 3 and never exceeds 70C. PC works smooth with no issues.

80C+ is when you should start to think about better cooling options like the person said above.

You make one to get some intake fans and exhaust fans to you can keep cool air coming in and keeping the hot out.

stbean

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2012
I have a new PC with this specs:
i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (with the original cooler)
Gigabyte Z97M-DS3H
Kingston 8192 MB (DDR3-1600) - XMP 1.3 (x2 16gb total)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 g1 gaming
coolermaster b2 - series 700w psu
ATX Midi Tower Case Deepcool Tesseract SW White

when it's idle the temp is around 30c and when playing watch dogs the temp reaches around 72c, is that a good gaming temp and please advise what should I do

thanks
Ive had my 4790k for about five years now, passed it on to my son. My gaming temps were in the 65C -75C range and a did quite alot of video rendering which would bring it up to 80C. Still no problems with this cpu. And I gamed at least 5 hours a day. Great cpu.

<MODERATOR EDIT>

This Thread is 4 years old. Please note the date of a Thread before posting.

This Thread is now closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.