[SOLVED] Is 75-80c fine for i7 8700k while gaming? (Stock speeds) (Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 Pro vs Navis 240 RGB for overclocking?)

kuba2002.11

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
I know that the Intel Coffee Lake CPU's run very hot but can this temperature actually harm the CPU in the long run?

Let me just add that the 80c is a constant temperature after about 30 minutes of playing and not a peak temp.

I use my computer all day every day now during the pandemic and the i7 I have is around 2 years old, I'm kinda scared of it dying on me one day. (Also I spend most of my day playing video games so the temperature stays there for a long time)
Should I worry about these temps?

I'm also thinking of overclocking it one day to around 4.6-4.7GHZ. But for that I would need a better cooler, currently, I'm using the SilientiumPC fortis 3 HE.
I have two coolers in mind if I need to overclock my CPU, the BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 Pro, and the Navis 240 RGB. I don't wanna deal with the dust that resides in the radiator over time so I lean towards the Navis more.

Solution
75C gaming temps seems a tad warm (opinion, anyway) for 4.4 GHz all-core /stock operation, although I"d need to go back a few years to see just what normal temps were for 'stock' operations...but, 75-80C seems warm, especially with an undervolt applied. (Alas, every CPU is different, and, perhaps yours just 'runs pretty warm', if you feel your cooling /airflow/thermal paste application is adequate for the TDP of that CPU)

Furzumz

Reputable
Heat reduces lifespan of processors but most processors usually last 10 years (often longer than that) when given adequate cooling. Yours running 20c under the max temp might mean it might go out on you earlier, so instead of 10 years it might be 7 or 8.

But these are all just rough assumptions and guestimates, you'd need a crystal ball to accurately predict such things. But I would be surprised if your CPU stops working before it becomes obsolete. And by obsolete I mean its probably not gonna die on you within the next 7 years under its current conditions. Heck I have a old single core athlon processor from the late 90's / early 2000's I ran brutally hot for years and it still somehow to this day still works.

Nonetheless I still recommend a better cooler when you can get one

I don't wanna deal with the dust that resides in the radiator over time so I lean towards the Navis more.

Have you been cleaning the dust out of your current cooler? If not, blowing it out with some compressed air would help with your temperatures right off the bat.

Reactions: kuba2002.11

kuba2002.11

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
Have you been cleaning the dust out of your current cooler? If not, blowing it out with some compressed air would help with your temperatures right off the bat.
Yes, I've been cleaning in regularly but I just don't like the extra chores and the AIO is the same price as the be quiet in my country so Win-Win?

Furzumz

Reputable
Yes, I've been cleaning in regularly but I just don't like the extra chores and the AIO is the same price as the be quiet in my country so Win-Win?

You'd have to clean out the AIO as well in a similar fashion. AIO's exhaust heat from a radiator which can fill with dust over time (see below)

But you only really need to blow the dust out maybe once a month give or take with most coolers, AIO or otherwise.

wmylczjiburx.jpg

4.7 GHz was the single core turbo clock speed of the 8700K, and 4.4 GHz the all core turbo speed; with 80C temps, I'd expect you might already have MCE mode on, and/or are perhaps using inadequate cooling.

Looking at HWMonitor, and running CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU, what clock speeds are hit on all cores? (If you see 4.7 GHz on all cores, you already have MCE mode enabled, and 80C would make more sense, and be acceptable...

AIO coolers are really air coolers. The difference is where the heat transfer takes place.
A DRP4PRO has about the same radiator size as a 240 aio.

Each requires a good case.
A good air cooler will draw in all the cooling air from the front which is easily filtered.

Mounting a aio radiator is a bit of a catch22 thing.
If you mount it in front to take in fresh air, the cpu is cooled best, but the motherboard and graphics card get warmed air to work with.
Fitting a filter to a radiator is sometimes not so easy.

OTOH, mounting the radiator on top gives the cooler warmed air to work with so the cpu is not cooled as well.

Usually a good air cooler is quieter and more reliable.
While uncommon, liquid coolers do on occasion leak causing damage.

If you have 160mm room for an air cooler, the Noctua NH-D15s would be my choice.
It comes in black now.

kuba2002.11

Reputable
Apr 3, 2018
4.7 GHz was the single core turbo clock speed of the 8700K, and 4.4 GHz the all core turbo speed; with 80C temps, I'd expect you might already have MCE mode on, and/or are perhaps using inadequate cooling.

Looking at HWMonitor, and running CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU, what clock speeds are hit on all cores? (If you see 4.7 GHz on all cores, you already have MCE mode enabled, and 80C would make more sense, and be acceptable...
It's the standard 4.4ghz on all cores and I've also set the voltage from the auto 1.3 to 1.175 and I've already said that I'm using the Silientiumpc Fortis 3 HE

75C gaming temps seems a tad warm (opinion, anyway) for 4.4 GHz all-core /stock operation, although I"d need to go back a few years to see just what normal temps were for 'stock' operations...but, 75-80C seems warm, especially with an undervolt applied. (Alas, every CPU is different, and, perhaps yours just 'runs pretty warm', if you feel your cooling /airflow/thermal paste application is adequate for the TDP of that CPU)

Solution