Question Is 750 W psu is overkill on this build? I was thinking of cutting some cost.

Feb 25, 2019
Here are the specs any help is appreciated, I am really confused whether 650w psu would be enough for this build if I plan on OCing later?

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO WIFI

CPU: AMD YD2600BBAFBOX 3.9GHz Socket AM4 Processor

CPU COOLER: CHIPTRONEX Diffuser X500 RGB CPU Cooler with 5 Copper Heat Pipes(Black)

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3000MHz (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C16D-16GTZR

GPU: Inno3D Nvidia Gaming Geforce GTX 1660 Ti Twin X2 6Gb Gddr6 Graphic Card

SDD: 2 X Kingston SSDNow A400 240GB SATA 3 Solid State Drive (SA400S37/240G) {one for storemi}

HDD: 2 X Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Internal Hard Drive for Desktop {one for storemi}

PSU: Corsair CX Series CX750 - 750 Watt Bronze Certified ATX PSU

CASE: CHIPTRONEX Raptor RGB Mid Tower Gaming Cabinet ATX case Tempered Glass RGB Sync USB 3.0 (Case Without SMPS)

FANS:
  1. 3 rgb fans front intake+ 1 rgb rear exhaust(with cabinet)
  2. Circle Stay Cool CG-12 120mm red LED Case Cabinet Fan(top exhaust)

Extra:
  1. WiFi adapter: TP-Link Archer T2UH AC600 High Gain Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter
  2. Bluetooth adaptor: rts Bluetooth Dongle Adapter Receiver Transfer with USB CSR 4.0 for PC Computer Laptop Supports Windows 10 8.1 8 7 Vista XP

The power supply here is listed for $70 I don't know what you have to pay but going cheaper on your power supply is not a wise move. Its the engine if you will of your build and it allows you to upgrade later if need be. Your build seems like it is nicely set up. If you have to cut some costs I would look elsewhere for savings. Imho.

Reactions: arjitsawhney

DasHotShot

Honorable
Here are the specs any help is appreciated, I am really confused whether 650w psu would be enough for this build if I plan on OCing later?

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO WIFI

CPU: AMD YD2600BBAFBOX 3.9GHz Socket AM4 Processor

CPU COOLER: CHIPTRONEX Diffuser X500 RGB CPU Cooler with 5 Copper Heat Pipes(Black)

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3000MHz (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C16D-16GTZR

GPU: Inno3D Nvidia Gaming Geforce GTX 1660 Ti Twin X2 6Gb Gddr6 Graphic Card

SDD: 2 X Kingston SSDNow A400 240GB SATA 3 Solid State Drive (SA400S37/240G) {one for storemi}

HDD: 2 X Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Internal Hard Drive for Desktop {one for storemi}

PSU: Corsair CX Series CX750 - 750 Watt Bronze Certified ATX PSU

CASE: CHIPTRONEX Raptor RGB Mid Tower Gaming Cabinet ATX case Tempered Glass RGB Sync USB 3.0 (Case Without SMPS)

FANS:
  1. 3 rgb fans front intake+ 1 rgb rear exhaust(with cabinet)
  2. Circle Stay Cool CG-12 120mm red LED Case Cabinet Fan(top exhaust)
Extra:
  1. WiFi adapter: TP-Link Archer T2UH AC600 High Gain Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter
  2. Bluetooth adaptor: rts Bluetooth Dongle Adapter Receiver Transfer with USB CSR 4.0 for PC Computer Laptop Supports Windows 10 8.1 8 7 Vista XP

A 650w PSU is actually ideal for this build. It means you will often operate somewhere in or near the sweetspot of efficiency and have loads of headroom to OC.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You could run that on a CX450M with no problem. The CX450M is a decent quality unit for the price.

That said if you want to overclock you want something better. Wattage has NOTHING to do with quality. Get yourself a Seasonic Focus 550 or an EVGA 550G3, better 550w is way more than enough, and both are good quality for overclocking.

The power supply here is listed for $70 I don't know what you have to pay but going cheaper on your power supply is not a wise move. Its the engine if you will of your build and it allows you to upgrade later if need be. Your build seems like it is nicely set up. If you have to cut some costs I would look elsewhere for savings. Imho.

The 750w CX750M is no better quality than the CX450M or 550M he could save money since that wattage is absurdly high. That said if he wants to overclock he needs to make a choice here, save money or buy quality.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So after reading your comments I guess 650 w bronze would be enough?
I have selected this one how's it?
Corsair CX CP-9020103-NA Semi-Modular 80 Plus Bronze 650W

This one is ok, but.

Corsair Power Supplies, TX650M 650W CP-9020132-NA
This one is a bit costlier but after reading your replies I guess one would be ideal?

Buy this one (TX550M)

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...-Units/txm-series-2017-config/p/CP-9020133-NA

Or the TX650M can't hurt, but its more than you need and more than you need to spend.

Feb 25, 2019
Feb 25, 2019
I have one more doudt does it make any sense to add two fans on top instead one but one facing upwards and one facing downward. I want to keep positive air pressure at all times since it's very dusty where I live.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I have one more doudt does it make any sense to add two fans on top instead one but one facing upwards and one facing downward. I want to keep positive air pressure at all times since it's very dusty where I live.

Oh god please no. if you want positive pressure lower the spin of the rear exhaust and increase the fan speed of the front fans. OR make the back fan an intake fan.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Corsair Power Supplies, TX650M 650W CP-9020132-NA
This one is a bit costlier but after reading your replies I guess one would be ideal?

I guess 650 w would leave some space for future upgrades as well 🤔

550w is enough for up to a GTX 1080 (or RTX 2080), 650w gives some cushion sure if you can afford it, then you're not doing anything bad. However your concern was price hence my recommendations.

DO NOT put 2 fans next to eachother doing opposite things. It will ruin your airflow.

That case has 3 front fans, have them taking air in, and then 1 rear fan should be exhausting. Thats all you need for positive pressure..

Apr 3, 2019
I'd go for an Antec quality level, Bronze or Silver standard 550W or 600W -as this will save you money too, also there's a huge fight over positive Vs negative pressure within the case, I personally go for Negative pressure as Physics wise a vacuum is easier to cool than a compressed area. So some fans at the front of the PC Case pulling air in & with the fans correctly orientated @ the Back & Top [as air rises] - pushing air out of the PC Case ..also My Nvidia GTX780 & GTX1070 both have Titan Cooler's -which exhausts a lot of the heat from the GPU straight out of the back too, which means less PC Case heat to negate. goodluck.. 0range.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I'd go for an Antec quality level, Bronze or Silver standard 550W or 600W -as this will save you money too, also there's a huge fight over positive Vs negative pressure within the case, I personally go for Negative pressure as Physics wise a vacuum is easier to cool than a compressed area. So some fans at the front of the PC Case pulling air in & with the fans correctly orientated @ the Back & Top [as air rises] - pushing air out of the PC Case ..also My Nvidia GTX780 & GTX1070 both have Titan Cooler's -which exhausts a lot of the heat from the GPU straight out of the back too, which means less PC Case heat to negate. goodluck.. 0range.

I run a negative pressure case (the case is actually designed for it too) and it works great, however the OP says he is in a dusty environment, in that case Positive is always the best route.

Apr 3, 2019
I get it Rogue -but that's why a lot of modern PC Cases have easy to remove & clean dust filters. I live in a house with 3 Cats & 2 Oomans I control where the air/dust goes -so its easier to clean up. personal choice as I said. [ps I used to make my own dust filters & sound proofing pre-dust & sound aware pc case manufacturers] 0range.