MB Asus ROG Strix X470-F
RAM- 16GB DDR 4 3200Mhz
1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
4 case fans
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with included fan/heat sink
Creative Sound Blaster Z
750 Watt PSU.
LG SATA DVD-RW

For awhile the computer has been powering itself off at odd times; sometimes if l‘m not using it, other times I might be playing DOOM, recently it powered down when I was ripping a DVD. When I say ‘power down’ it doesn’t go through a ‘shut down’ sequence, the power just turns off like someone flipped a switch. A few times when it behaves like this, I will turn off the power manually, wait a few minutes, turn the power back on and hit the case switch and the it will ‘try‘ to power on (the fans will kick ) but then it will shut down again. It’s not overheating because it’s turned off when sitting idle and also I’ve monitoring the CPU temp more than a few times when playing intense games and it rarely gets above 45 degrees. I DID try to over clock the CPU once while ago and it turned itself off in a similar fashion.
I’ve also tested the PSU with a PSU tester and it’s fine.

Is it possible a 750 watt PSU isn’t sufficient for my components? Anything else that might be causing the issue??

Thanks!

-Sjm

750 Watts PSU is easily sufficient for your system.

Reset/clear BIOS.

Make sure all components are seated correctly. To be certain of that, remove and re-seat the video card, memory, and the sound card.

Make sure all cables that need to be connected are connected properly also.

A (retail) PSU tester just measures the PSU voltages at very little load. The tester doesn't guarantee the PSU is fault free though, as some PSU faults will not appear until the PSU is more heavily loaded.

If still having issues after resetting BIOS and checking that all components and cables are seated/connected properly, then try another known working PSU (rated at least 450 Watts) as a test unit. If necessary borrow the test PSU from a friend, neighbor etc.

If the computer with the test PSU installed runs fine, then the original PSU is likely to be faulty and will have to be replaced.

If the computer is still having issues with the test PSU installed, then the motherboard is suspected of being faulty.

Smackey01

Prominent
Mar 19, 2020
So update- i pulled everything out of the computer tightened up a couple of the motherboard screws and decided to try a different power supply. So I only had in the CPU ram, no peripherals or hard drive. I put it up with no problem. I thought it might be some of the motherboard screws, maybe the motherboard wasn’t grounded or seated properly. So I put my original power supply back in and put it up no problem. So I started putting components back in including my graphics card, sound crd and hard drive. And it was back to its old tricks, Power on for a second, then turns off. I took the sound card out, and suddenly it was working again. I was stunned. I took some pictures of the connection points on the same card, there’s a little wear Where it connects to pci-e slot.. the card is less than a year old for goddesses sakes lol
Anyway, im going to leave the computer on for a few hour and see it behaves! Thanks again for your assistance!

Smackey01

Prominent
Mar 19, 2020
I thought it was the sound card but nope, crapped out again. Im picking up an Corsair today; below is what I currently have.

Cooler Master MPY-7501-AFAAG-US MWE 750 Gold Full Modular, 80+ Gold Certified 750W Power Supply, 5 Year Warranty.

Reviews for that PSU on NewEgg aren't very good, but that doesn't mean everything. However, I'm still guessing it's your PSU. When you tested with the other PSU, you didn't have everything connected, just the bare minimum components. Try all components with the other PSU. My guess is your current PSU can no longer handle a full load. It has a 5 year warranty, so if the 'other' PSU works with all your components, I'd RMA the CM MPY-7501-AFAAG-US MWE 750 Gold .

Reactions: Smackey01

Smackey01

Prominent
Mar 19, 2020
Yeah i tried the gpu cords no change. I replaced the power supply with a corsair and everything seemed fine most of yesterday but then it ‘crashed’ while playing skyrim yesterday but immediately rebooted but then ‘shut off’ by itself again this morning. Then It powers on for < 1 sec and then powers off....

Im pretty sure it’s the motherboard at this point or it’s the RAM. Going to swap out the memory and see.