Question Is 750w platinum enough for my build?

joespanley

Reputable
Aug 27, 2019
Build is in the signature. Ask for extra details if needed.

I'm currently supplying my build with an 8 year old Enermax NAXN 750W 80+ bronze rating. Until I upgraded from 2600k gtx970 to 9700k gtx1070, I never took a hard look at my power supply.

However, I'm probably going to overclock my rig if I need the extra performance for certain games. Currently, when I overclock [edit: my GPU only], this current PSU is starting to heat up real bad. I can tell by the way the fan starts spinning and it doesn't sound too fancy - it sounds like the bearing of the fan is now very worn after so many years of use, because it starts making a grinding sound, which freaks me out.

I never took power supplies too lightly as I know that a faulty PSU can leave permanent damage to the whole system if something bad happens with the electricity.

Would it be a good time to upgrade? I found an offer for a Be Quiet dark power pro11 @ 750watts but it's rated platinum, compared to my current bronze, but will 750w be enough in the long term for me, if I also want to overclock?

I must add that in the far future I might upgrade to an RTX 2080 or 2070, so I gotta make sure if the new PSU can handle even that upgrade so that...you know...i don't have to change it again for the following years.

So is 750w platinum enough? I won't ever be using SLI or multi-gpu setups btw.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Absolutely a good time to upgrade. The NAXN is old and poor quality from the Enermax series. 750W is more than enough, a 2080ti can run on a good quality 650W!

What is your budget and location?
The Dark Power Pro 11 is an excellent PSU, just usually (depending on the area) there are others that are similar quality or still excellent for less.

joespanley

Reputable
Aug 27, 2019
Absolutely a good time to upgrade. The NAXN is old and poor quality from the Enermax series. 750W is more than enough, a 2080ti can run on a good quality 650W!

What is your budget and location?
The Dark Power Pro 11 is an excellent PSU, just usually (depending on the area) there are others that are similar quality or still excellent for less.

I live in Europe. I found a private seller who sells it around $115 in my local currency, sealed (never used, still in the factory box). Shop prices are rip-offs sometimes. At the shop here it's around $190-200.

Definitely can afford it with my budget at $115, but would never pay for the shop price. They're both sealed though, so it's not like I'm buying a used or faulty product if I go to that guy. He doesn't give a warranty though, but tbh I trust Be quiet as a company.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I live in Europe. I found a private seller who sells it around $115 in my local currency, sealed (never used, still in the factory box). Shop prices are rip-offs sometimes. At the shop here it's around $190-200.

Definitely can afford it with my budget at $115, but would never pay for the shop price. They're both sealed though, so it's not like I'm buying a used or faulty product if I go to that guy. He doesn't give a warranty though, but tbh I trust Be quiet as a company.
That is pretty good, but personally i wouldn't blow that amount of money on an excellent PSU if I didn't get the warranty on it. But that's just me. Even the best PSUs break, they just don't take out your other components! However if you still get manufacturers warranty, then you're all good.

Be quiet make some poorer units - but the Dark Power ones are excellent. I'm UK based so prices are probably a little more reflective of the rest of Europe. Going off France prices for example, you can pick up:

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€128.62 @ Amazon France)
Total: €128.62

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€127.89 @ Alternate)
Total: €127.89

That are also excellent and get all the warranty - just food for thought.
In short, 750W of good quality is MORE than enough.

joespanley

Reputable
Aug 27, 2019
That is pretty good, but personally i wouldn't blow that amount of money on an excellent PSU if I didn't get the warranty on it. But that's just me. Even the best PSUs break, they just don't take out your other components! However if you still get manufacturers warranty, then you're all good.

Be quiet make some poorer units - but the Dark Power ones are excellent. I'm UK based so prices are probably a little more reflective of the rest of Europe. Going off France prices for example, you can pick up:

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€128.62 @ Amazon France)
Total: €128.62

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€127.89 @ Alternate)
Total: €127.89

That are also excellent and get all the warranty - just food for thought.
In short, 750W of good quality is MORE than enough.

Just done a quick google and sadly the 2 psu's you mentioned are no longer in shop stocks here or are too overpriced, like $190-200. Regarding private sellers, I only found them in used states with already over 2+ years, but I don't buy anything already used if I go to individual sellers. I only try to aim for sellers who have a sealed/unboxed product.

As alternatives in similar prices under the BQ Pro11 I only found corsairs with just $20-25 under, but rated gold and at 550-650w tops. I'm not sure if I wanna go under 750w either. Regarding SeaSonic, I have never heard of this brand tbh, so idk how well I could rely on their products. I tend to be a bit brand-biased here and go to brands I already know about for some time.

But, is it hard to repair a psu if something bad happens and I don't have warranty though? Because I have a couple friends who repair pc parts, in case, god-forbid, something bad happens with it.

Idk, so far that pro11 seems like the best deal imo, but I'm still open for alternatives.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Seasonic are probably known as he best PSU manufacturer in the business (arguable yes)

They also manufacture a lot of other brands PSUs. I believe they are one of the only brands to also have 12 year warranty on one of their series.

The dark power is a good deal, just if you lose all that warranty, I'd personally pay a little more and get one of equal or similar quality with all the warranty. But that's me.

They CAN be repaired. But again, if you have the warranty, your friend won't need to.

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
I concur. The Enermax NAXN 750W 80+ Bronze wasn't all that good in it's time. Equivalent in build and quality to an OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W. Provide power - YES. Heat the house at MAX OUTPUT? YES! Anything else? THHHHBT! PSUs have come A LOOOOONNNNG WAY in the last decade. Build Quality, Efficiency and Warranties are WWAAAYYY UP!, not to mention protections! I am unsure as to why you are using "$" for European pricing instead of "€ ". But, starting at €124.90 you could get a SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W PLATINUM (SSR-650PX) :
https://www.amazon.fr/Seasonic-Prim...87857&sprefix=seasnoic+ssr-750,aps,429&sr=8-3.
And at €129.90 you could get a SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 850W GOLD (SSR-850FX) :
https://www.amazon.fr/Seasonic-Focu...87857&sprefix=seasnoic+ssr-750,aps,429&sr=8-4).
IF you are less concerned about the "extra" 2% efficiency, and want the EXTRA 200W POWER!
Also, EVGA has the G3 available :
https://www.amazon.fr/EVGA-SuperNOV...ÕÑ&keywords=evga+750+p2&qid=1569094513&sr=8-2
Just be careful WHO you buy from on Amazon, the Seller could already be the "end user", so NO WARRANTY!, as some buyers have discovered when trying to RMA!
That's why I suggest Newegg :
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-foc...re=seasonic_focus_plus-_-17-151-192-_-Product
(Not sure if you have the equivalent to newegg in Europe?, but there is Newegg Global). Good Luck!
P.S. all the above PSUs have a 10-year Limited Factory Warranty.