Is 77c too hot for a cpu?

dannycai70

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014
Hey guys, so just recently I got my slick new Pentium G3258, and i started overclocking.

I got it overclocked to 4.6 with temps of around 77c - 78c with a max temperature of 86. This is while its under stress with prime 95 running for around 5 hours. Is this too hot or is it fine?

System specs

Mobo: Asus B85 Gamer Pro

CPU: Pentium G3258 4.6ghz with: Cooler Master hyper D92

PSU: Corsair VS450

RAM: 2x4gb patriot value series ram

Solution

Vcore?

Ambient temperature?

Blend, Small or Large FFT's?

86C is too hot.

Here's the normal operating range for Core temperature:

80C Hot (100% Load)
75C Warm
70C Warm (Heavy Load)
60C Norm
50C Norm (Medium Load)
40C Norm
30C Cool (Idle)

Core temperatures in the mid 70's are safe.

cleanshot911

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014

That's just fine. 86 degrees Celsius is a bit high for a max, but I've seen people get up to 85 in prim95 and be fine later on. Besides prime95 is a stress test, if your computer doesn't crap out during it after 5 hours, your fine, those temperatures are perfectly normal for a cpu being overclocked that much, and you'll be fine running it as is probably for a few years, though you should consider getting a better cooler if you want it to live for more than 3-4 years.

CompuTronix

Intel Master

Vcore?

Ambient temperature?

Blend, Small or Large FFT's?

86C is too hot.

Here's the normal operating range for Core temperature:

80C Hot (100% Load)
75C Warm
70C Warm (Heavy Load)
60C Norm
50C Norm (Medium Load)
40C Norm
30C Cool (Idle)

Core temperatures in the mid 70's are safe.

Although I appreciate your reference to the Intel Temperature Guide, you have slightly misquoted me, as I am the author.

Section 6 actually states: "Sustained Core temperature greater than 80C is too hot for ultimate stability, performance and longevity."

Also, if you read Sections 12 and 13, you will see that the above statement includes Prime95.

Guys,

Core i 2nd through 6th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95 such as 28.5 run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures. The FPU test in the utility AIDA64 shows similar results.

Prime95 v26.6 produces temperatures on 3rd through 6th Generation processors more consistent with 2nd Generation, which also have AVX instructions, but do not suffer from thermal extremes due to having a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader and a significantly larger Die.

Since Pentium processors, including the G3258, don't have AVX Instruction sets, the P95 version doesn't matter.

CT :sol:

Solution

cleanshot911

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014

Hmmmm. I suppose I, as the kids these days say, "Have been served." Thank you for correcting me!

CompuTronix

Intel Master

Since 2007, my goal here at Tom's has been to clarify Intel's temperature spec's for our Forum Members and readers through my Intel Temperature Guide, and whenever I can, one thread at a time.

There's an enormous amount of confusion and misinformation on this topic. The reason why there are so many conflicting reports of different temperatures, is that everyone tests their rigs with different stress tests, clock speeds, Vcore, coolers, ambient temperatures and measuring utilities that read three different types of processor temperatures.

Add to that the fact that almost no one bothers to look up Intel's specs, which aren't written to make any sense to anyone anyway. Then there's the term "load" that gets tossed around like gorilla poo in a cage. Load? Which load? What load? Load is a very subjective term.

Applications, rendering, encoding, gaming, web browsing, downloading and virus scanning are partial workloads with fluctuating temperatures, which aren't suitable for thermal testing or comparing temperatures, but they're great for endless speculation and debate. Add a graphics card that recirculates heat into your case, and your perspective is lost among all the variables.

The only way to make sense of this mess is to test your rig using a methodology that reduces the variables to the lowest common denominators in order to replicate Intel's test methods as closely as possible. The Intel Temperature Guide explains the why and how-to in Section 13. The Guide is a compilation of nearly 9 years and over 4,000 hours of research and hands-on testing.

It's a Sticky near top of the CPU's Forum, as well as the Overclocking Forum. If you'd like to get yourself up to speed on this topic, then please give it a read. Just click on the link in my signature.

Thanks,

dannycai70

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014

Wow thanks for the overly detailed answer :D

I've now encountered a new uncertainty. I've noticed that on many forums and websites people have been able to OC there Pentiums too 4.6ghz with around 1.35v. But for me to reach those speeds i need to crank up the voltage to around 1.50v to get to that speed. Could you explain to me why?

Because of this I got scared and am running at 4.4ghz at 1.3V

Every CPU has minor manufacturing differences that affect the way it performs. All manufactured items are like this. Two 'identical' guns are likely to shoot slightly differently.

Intel tests all their CPUs against their specification and every G3258 is guaranteed to meet Intel's specification, which is 3.2Ghz at 'standard' stock voltages.

When you overclock, you are saying 'to heck with your specifications Mr. Intel, I'm booting it!'

Because of the minor manufacturing differences, each chip needs a different voltage to get to, say 4.0Ghz, or will get to a different speed on, say 1.25V.

I have two G3258s. One will not do more than 4.2Ghz, and the other will do 4.5, but the voltages are too high for my taste, and I run it at 4.4.

There is also a second effect due to the same differences in manufacturing and an additional difference which means that two chips running at the same speed and same voltage, may not run at the same temperature. The temperatures on my 4.5Ghz are OK, even though the voltage is higher than I like.

You can change voltages in increments of 0.010V and you may be able to reduce your voltage a little.

Did you use 'automatic' overclocking, or did you do it by hand?

If you have yet to do so, I would move to Adaptive overclocking, to restore the low-voltage idle states, so the CPU is able to rest when there is not load.

CompuTronix

Intel Master

As an engineer, I know that more information is preferable to not enough.

From the Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Section 9 - Overclocking and Vcore:

"Every processor is unique in overclocking potential, voltage tolerance and thermal behavior."

An abbreviated version of what DonkeyMan said. :D

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Thanks, but here's the thing; we live in a world where all our gadgets run 24/7/365 on standards and specification. As such, the engineers at Intel design their processors according to extremely precise and demanding parameters.

When they lab test their processors, they must be stable while operating at nominal settings under a steady-state 100% workload which sustains Tcase and TDP values by IHS thermocouple measurement, as well as by calculation, both of which must agree.

As featured in my Guide, Prime95 version 26.6 Small FFT's provides a steady-state workload which is ~ 102% TDP. Although there are four other utilities that also provide a steady-state workload, P95 v26.6 Small FFT's is the only utility which comes so close to replicating Intel's lab test conditions at 100% TDP.

What's the big deal about a steady-state 100% workload? Read Section 12, and the first part of Section 13. Review the SpeedFan Charts, and you'll see what I mean.

After nearly 9 years and over 4 thousands of hours of research and hands-on testing, in my opinion, and at this point in time, P95 v26.6 Small FFT's meets the criteria for establishing a valid thermal baseline.

Keep in mind this is with respect to thermal testing only, not stability testing. Asus RealBench provides a 98% TDP fluctuating workload for stability testing.

Many factors affect overall overclocking results and the voltage it takes to reach a certain level of overclock, such as BIOS settings being different that someone else that got further on lower voltage.

Disabling Intel features can affect the voltage needed to reach stability and also can affect how efficient your CPU cooling is doing it's job when the wattage load increases from the overclock.

Overclock BIOS settings are usually the most common reason for voltage stabilization differences.

Did you use a guide for your overclocking?