is 8+4gb ram a dual channel setup ?

Yash_rc

Reputable
Jun 16, 2017
soo i already have 8gb ram single stick i want a dual channel setup with i7 3700 and gtx 1070
i was checking 8gb ram prices and its sky rocketing and the only ram i could afford is 4gb ram sticks so i was wondering if i have the 8gb ram and 4gb ram same company and running them at same speed make it a "dual channel setup" ? I WANT SPEED NOT MEMORY.. soo i need the dual channel badly .. my current corsair ram 8gb runs at 1600mhz and planning to pair it with a 4gb same corsair 4gb running at 1600mhz will it be a dual channel setup and INCREASE my FPS in games ?

Solution
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Yash_rc : "2x4gb + 8gb ram will it work ?"

the 2x 4GB will be in dual channel, the 8gb will be single, assuming you put them in the proper slots.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If running the two rams together works it'll be in flex mode. Intel allows different capacity ram to run in dual channel but the greater half will be in single channel.

So you'll put 8GB in first dimm (A1) and 4GB in B2. Dual channel will operate first half of the 8GB stick.

Mixing ram isn't assured to work.

You may run in compatibility issues when you mix and match RAM, so it's not a good ideea. 4+4 GB will run in dual channel and the rest will run in single channel in that case.
If I were you I'd save up some cash and sell the 1x8 GB module and buy a 2x8 GB kit.

Yash_rc

Reputable
Jun 16, 2017

im am trying to sell my ram but no offers yet ://

Yash_rc

Reputable
Jun 16, 2017

i have questions of flex mode apart from compability issues will there be an performance drop ? i mean will it give same performance in flex mode dual channel like a traditional dual channel setup ?

also i have to option to return so if it doesnt work i can easily return :D

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Yash_rc : "2x4gb + 8gb ram will it work ?"

the 2x 4GB will be in dual channel, the 8gb will be single, assuming you put them in the proper slots.

Solution

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

If he puts the 2x4gb in one channel and the 1x8gb in the other (and they will work together) would that mean he would have 16gb in dualchannel.