Question Is 80 - 85 degrees a reasonable temperature for my build?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 22, 2019
Hello,

I just built a new machine with the following spec:

• Intel Core i9 9900K 3.6Ghz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme mobo
  • Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler
  • NVidia GFX 1080
  • 32gb G Skill Trident Z memory
  • 2 x 1tb Samsung 970 Pro V-Nand M.2 drives
  • Corsair 850w Gold power supply
  • Be Quiet Base 900 case (one external fan and two front intake fans)
When I built it, I used the thermal paste stuff that comes with the dark rock cooler. Ambient room temperature is around 18 - 20 deg.

While the machine is idling, CPU-Z shows CPU temps of around 35 - 40 which I guess is reasonable. However I noticed that after gaming (Battlefield V for instance) the max temperatures have reached 85 or so.

After some research, I disabled multicore enhancement and retried it. Same temperatures at idle but under load the temps came down to around 75 - 80. Now, I understand what multicore enhancement does but my question really is whether 85 degrees C is even a temperature I should be worried about. I notice from the Intel datasheet that the max temp is 100 and even under Prime95 the temps (with multicore enhancement enabled) doesn't really go beyond 85 C.

Am I looking at normal temperatures or should I do something else here? Also, what's this SVID stuff all about? Can't seem to get to the bottom of whether it should be disabled (for normal gaming use) or not?

Appreciate your time,
JT

ps. Should also say I'm not interested in overclocking anything.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I have nearly the same setup as you. I'm running an Aorus ultra/DRP4/9900k @ 4.8 ghz 1.2v. I get low to mid 80's running real bench or prime95 small fft (no avx). I'd say you are about where you should be. I've swapped cooling setups a few times and I'm pretty sure my IHS isn't flat. I'm not about to start sanding a $530 dollar chip though.

Mar 22, 2019
I have nearly the same setup as you. I'm running an Aorus ultra/DRP4/9900k @ 4.8 ghz 1.2v. I get low to mid 80's running real bench or prime95 small fft (no avx). I'd say you are about where you should be. I've swapped cooling setups a few times and I'm pretty sure my IHS isn't flat. I'm not about to start sanding a $530 dollar chip though.

Cheers dude. That actually makes me feel a little better. Still gonna try a reseat with new thermal paste and will post back with results.

I think I’m only really concerned cos I’m comparing it to how my i7 worked under stress. But then, I bought that one in 2011. :)

Reactions: rigg42
Mar 22, 2019
I reseated the heatsink with some Arctic Silver 5 (single blob in the center) and temperatures look to be staying around 70 C whilst in Battlefield 5 (with multicore enhancement on) so I'm pretty happy with that. Temps occasionally spike anywhere between 75 and 80 but it's fractions of a second. I think part of the issue was not enough thermal paste the first time, and the Dark Rock thermal paste aint that great either. Happy with the results though. Thanks for all your input!

Reactions: rigg42