[SOLVED] Is 8086K worth more 32€ than 8700k?

Nov 20, 2018
Hi,

i am going to buy a new PC setup and I was wondering if going for 8086k for 30€ more than 8700k.
Budget is not the problem and the fact of being a limited edition appeals to me.

8700K. 446€

8086K: 478€

Bequiet dark rock pro 4 is going to be my air cooling choice, do you think I would have problems with temps regarding the extra frequency boost from 8086k?

Currently, I am not thinking on OCing my PC, i do not have enough knowledge of this topic, but maybe in the future I would not say NO to increasing core speed if my cooling system allows me.

Thanks for your comments.

Solution
Worth is something only YOU can determine.
The 8086k is really a well binned 8700K.
That means that it will be easier to overclock.
If you have no interest in overclocking, there is little value in paying more.
But, you are leaving some 20% performance on the table my not overclocking.

I might suggest though that a i5-9700K at £389 or so will be a better buy.
It will perform on a par with a 8700k/8086k in multithreaded apps and be stronger in games even without overclocking.
You will want a Z390 based motherboard.

Nov 20, 2018

So, it is worth 32€, but no more I guess??

what do you mean with "binned CPU" = "top quality percentile chips"???

thanks

Worth is something only YOU can determine.
The 8086k is really a well binned 8700K.
That means that it will be easier to overclock.
If you have no interest in overclocking, there is little value in paying more.
But, you are leaving some 20% performance on the table my not overclocking.

I might suggest though that a i5-9700K at £389 or so will be a better buy.
It will perform on a par with a 8700k/8086k in multithreaded apps and be stronger in games even without overclocking.
You will want a Z390 based motherboard.

Solution

Yeah, and it will do 5 GHz on all cores, all one has to do is enable Multi Core Enhancement in the BIOS.

Very true.

Those Z390 motherboards are pricey though, well the good one are.

Stay away from the Budget Z390 boards.

Nov 20, 2018

I was thinking on buying a z390 motherboard, ASUS Z390 ROG STRIX-E.

9700k, what i do not like is the possible temps and the number of threads, only 8, yeah, i know that I receive 2 more cores in exchange.

That's the point, 8700K, 8086K, 8700K with delid from the shop but it cost the same as a 9700k although they say it will run better.
Do not know what to do. Yesterday i was going to buy a 2700x but due to my needs of Unity3d, Unreal engine, Adobe, VR, and modelling tools I have decided to go with Intel.

Thanks for your following comments.

There are better investments.

Nov 20, 2018

Unopened, that's the point jaja, but it is similar to some STAR WARS legos. Open 8086k i think they also would cost 100-200€ in the future or maybe more.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I don't know if that rise in value will necessarily happen just because all it is is literally an 8700k. Just, a really good one.

I think you miss the point of what a collectible is. It was a limited edition anniversary release, meant to tickle the fancy of people who collect things and remember the original 8086 processor. People collect the oddest things today, but in twenty years it will be an amazing thing for fanciers of old-school tech to look at on their shelves.

Just imagine if you had an unopened 8086 processor and how cool that would look next to your pristine Winchester disk drive, Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 and Compaq 'luggable' early tech collection.

The sold them in tubes back then, btw.

The only difference is maybe a 100MHz higher overclock and even then you're not guaranteed that. You can overclock the 8700K to run at the same speeds as the 8086K. Even if you don't overclock it's still not worth it. If there are no plans to overclock I'd get an 8700.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I suppose. I guess I'm just jaded because all of my pokemon cards my parents told me to save never gained any value.

Nov 20, 2018

They key point is that it is limited. Pokemon cards, there are plenty of them, although some of Pokemon items such as Game Boy's Pokemon Pinball I think they are sold for some interesting sums. Cards is different, depends if it is magic, the antiquity of the card, ex. Black Lotus.

Here, I think I would go for 8086k just for an 1% extra performance maybe...or maybe not, but just for the limited edition. In the future I will put it back in the box and maybe some collector buy me it jaja.

I suppose that for more than 32€, although in 20 years that would be equivalent to 1€ jaja. I do not know, all are bets, but limited edition in CPUs, why not. Other thing would be seeing every day limited edition in the market...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

If you want to get the 8086k just for the sake that it might be slightly faster, and the remote chance you might be able to sell it for a profit in 20 years, that's your call. But if practical considerations like performance per dollar don't matter to you, I don't see what the point of this thread is. Nobody else is going to be able to tell you if the 8086k is worth it to you if you're judging worth based on subjective criteria like the desirability of a 'collector' CPU.

If you're not overclocking, your cooler will be fine for either CPU.

That's a good MB.

I wouldn't worry too much about the temps as long as you have a good cooler, and they really don't run that hot unless you are overclocking and bump the VCORE up.

Nov 20, 2018

Thanks for advices,

1. could you tell me if XMP is turned on, if warranty is void?
2. If ram is 3200mhz for 8700k, will temperatures get higher overall due to higher frequency in RAM and therefore CPU performance will be impacted by temperatures? Or this kind of effect is insignificant?

No, you will be fine.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

The Intel i7 8086K should been made a Intel i7 8086 a locked CPU instead...

TRENDING THREADS