Question Is 80c hot for i9-10900k?

Oct 23, 2022
Hey guys!
So I just got myself a 10900k and while everything runs amazingly, the temps are a little worrying.
Right now, being idle it runs at 40-50c, when i play games like FC6 or DRG, or anything else (haven't tested it in many games yet) it goes up to 70ish range. BUT when I play Squad, the temps go up to 80+, it almost hit a 100 once and um... yeah. Do you guys know if its too hot or is it normal?

P.S. One more thing, while getting to these high temps it remains only 5-15% loaded.

Specs

MSI MAG Z490 TOMOHAWK
2070 SUPER
HYPERX FURY 32gb 3600 mhz
i9-10900K
NOCTUA NH-D15
And I run it in fractial R5, with two be quite and the stock one if that matters.

Last edited:
Over 90ºC is too hot. If you are hitting near 100ºC at 5-15% load there is something wrong with your cooling solution.
Fractal R5 is NOT a great case for airflow and you've got a furnace of a CPU in there.

Perform 2 separate, but exactly the same tests. At least 30 mins of hard CPU work. One test with the side panel on, one test with it off. Both tests should be run with HWiNFO64 running in the background (sensors only logging on). Go through the logs to see the difference in temps.

Aside from that, have you adjusted any overclocking, timings, or voltage settings in BIOS? If everything is on auto, that may also be the issue. Many MBs give the CPU waaaay too much voltage on auto.

Oct 23, 2022
Over 90ºC is too hot. If you are hitting near 100ºC at 5-15% load there is something wrong with your cooling solution.
Fractal R5 is NOT a great case for airflow and you've got a furnace of a CPU in there.

Perform 2 separate, but exactly the same tests. At least 30 mins of hard CPU work. One test with the side panel on, one test with it off. Both tests should be run with HWiNFO64 running in the background (sensors only logging on). Go through the logs to see the difference in temps.

Aside from that, have you adjusted any overclocking, timings, or voltage settings in BIOS? If everything is on auto, that may also be the issue. Many MBs give the CPU waaaay too much voltage on auto.
Thanks for the answer. I'll try testing.
And yes, overclocking is in auto.
Even though I've heard that by adjusting the voltage that may fry the CPU.
What should I set it to to reduce the temp tho?

Oct 23, 2022
To whoever is reading it.
So I figured out overclocking, and that was the main issue.
Adaptive voltage and dynamic mhz were causing the temp to go bananas. Whoever is facing the same issue while having a proper cooling solution - my advice would be to watch some vids about what is what in overclocking - the answer is there.

Yeah, auto overclocking does this, overestimates the required stable voltage for a chip. General rule of thumb for Intel systems is the highest stable frequency at the lowest stable CPU vcore and most desirable temps, auto OC never does that.

You've got a decent cooler, you could play around with that a bit. If the system bluescreens, give it a bit more CPU vcore.

Oct 23, 2022
To whoever is reading it.
So I figured out overclocking, and that was the main issue.
Adaptive voltage and dynamic mhz were causing the temp to go bananas. Whoever is facing the same issue while having a proper cooling solution - my advice would be to watch some vids about what is what in overclocking - the answer is there.
thanks!