Is 82°C ok for the nvidia GTX 750 ti?

queenroxa

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I don't really game super high tech games, but when playing Sims 3 whilst monitoring my GPU temperatures, it at some point reached 82°C. Is this safe for my GPU? I'm very new to this. My GPU fan hasn't increased above 61% either. Should I be worried? Sorry if this post is lacking, I'm really not very good with tech.

Just to update, It's usually 80°C and never has increased above 82°C.
If not gaming, it's usually around 40°C.

Solution
here you go, yes all these temps are safe, 7th series Nvidia GPUs can go up to 92c without a problem, of course the cooler the better, but it is okay to play with vsync enabled for a cooler and quieter experience or disable vsync to get max performance, your card will reach the 80c+ mark and be a little louder, both scenarios are okay. nothing would be damaged because of these temps.

If you are worried just contact Alienware to make sure that these temps are normal temps for that system or if your case cooling is not functioning optimally.

I don't know what kind of cooling they have implemented in that system so can not tell if these temps are standard for it or not, all i can say is that these temps are safe for the GPU.

Aofekiko

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016

What is the average temp while playing, temperatures can spike some times so its best to watch the average temp and not the max temp you get.
GPUs can survive even under 120 - 140°C even if not for a long period of time but if you reach 82°C i do recommend lowering the quality, even just a bit will be fine because it is recommended to keep your GPU under 80°C

MyNewRig

Honorable
May 7, 2013
82c on and by itself is not damaging to the GPU chip, but the reason it reaches 82c is worth investigating, the downside is that the card would throttle (down-clock) to keep temps in check which will lower its performance.

The reason this is happening is either because you have poor case cooling, not enough fresh cold air is entering the case or not enough hot air is being exhausted, or your card fan/fans might not be functioning properly or you have a very dusty heat sinks fans or front intake

What card brand and type of cooler do you have? what case are you using?

queenroxa

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
My room is pretty warm, although I do own a fan, wondering if opening my window and using my fan in my room will help circulate some more cold air and help my computer. as for the details you asked, I'm unsure on where to find those. I'm sadly however using a Alienware x51 r2 (I've heard bad things) And have made no custom edits to that, just bought and used as is. If you need me to find more information, please let me know. Whilst monistering the game, It's just staying around about 79°C and 80°C. The fans itself shows only 61% the maximum it was being used, so I know they can do more, so wondering why it isn't.

MyNewRig

Honorable
May 7, 2013
The fan is not doing more because 80c is the target temp setup in the GPU's BIOS that the fans spin just fast enough to maintain that limit and not go above it hence giving you the quietest experience possible.

queenroxa

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Ah okay, thank you. So far, whilst in fullscreen it's seemingly pretty calm, with only 60°C as it's peak temperature and around 52-60°C as its usual, but I'll keep playing it and see if that peaks. I'm wondering if me playing it windowed had an effect on it.

MyNewRig

Honorable
May 7, 2013
that depends on so many factors, like if Vsync is enabled and how the game engine functions, if the game only asks the card for a max of 30 or 60 FPS (vsync enabled) then the card will not work harder to output more, but if the card is being asked to output as much frames as it could then it will be stressed the most, to be honest 80c on a 7th series Nvidia GPU is the norm, it is nothing to worry about, my 780 used to run at 79c usually and 82c while overclocked without a problem.

The key point here is to make sure that you have good case cooling but since you did not build this machine yourself then it is not your responsibility to ensure that.

If the system is still under warranty i would just ignore the whole issue and use it and if it fails you have warranty to cover you, otherwise just call Alienware and ask them if these temps are normal for this type of system and if not what to do to improve temps

queenroxa

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I think I've figured it out thanks to your extremely helpful post
So I added a fps limit on my game, as the sims 3 originally didn't and therefore I heard this can cause game crashes or damage your gpu. So I added a fps limit, the vsync thingy you mentioned. This takes effect in fullscreen mode, but not windowed mode, as I heard from the Sim forum helper. So whilst monitoring my game in windowed to view my temperature stats, it was reaching such peak temperatures because the fps was reaching the 100s. In fullscreen, it's limited to 60 as I did that a while ago, and therefore temperatures never go above 62°C. would you say that this temperature is safe? Thanks so much again!

MyNewRig

Honorable
May 7, 2013
here you go, yes all these temps are safe, 7th series Nvidia GPUs can go up to 92c without a problem, of course the cooler the better, but it is okay to play with vsync enabled for a cooler and quieter experience or disable vsync to get max performance, your card will reach the 80c+ mark and be a little louder, both scenarios are okay. nothing would be damaged because of these temps.

If you are worried just contact Alienware to make sure that these temps are normal temps for that system or if your case cooling is not functioning optimally.

I don't know what kind of cooling they have implemented in that system so can not tell if these temps are standard for it or not, all i can say is that these temps are safe for the GPU.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS