Is 850w enough for two cards

litaidd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
I'm thinking about buying a 2nd 1080 ti since I have a chance to get one for really cheap atm. My friend wants to sell me his old one for only $300 USD. I have an 8700k and a 1080ti. Just trying to figure out if my psu is enough for sli. The power supply is the EVGA GQ gold rated.

Search on here or Google for SLI is Dead or SLI Performance, and you'll see plenty of people telling you what I just did. Yes there are games that benefit form it, but not enough of them to justify the cost of multi GPU gaming rigs IMO.

Nvidia bought the technology from 3dfx, pushed it for marketing purposes (just like PhysX) but never really went far with it since Nvidia didn't see the financial benefit from developing and optimizing either the hardware or drivers due to the extremely low number of multi card gaming computers. Then you need to account for the game developers who decide to code for SLI and optimize it, the befit of the technology shrinks even more.

You're free to spend your money however you see fit, because well it's your money, but you probably wont get the performance to justify the price of the additional card.