[SOLVED] Is 87° max while gaming a good temp for a 5.0 overclocked 10700k with noctua nh-d15s?

Aug 19, 2021
I just got the noctua nh-d15s and decided to overclock my 10700k.

My PC:
32gb RAM 4133MHz 19CL
RTX 3070
Intel i7 10700K
650W 80+ gold PSU
Aerocool tor pro case with 3 intake and one exhaust fan
Noctua nh-d15s with the standard fan
MSI Z490-A PRO

I'm getting scores in cinebench r23 of around 12300 and temps in the low 90s high 80s, core voltage is 1.25 and ring frequency is 4400 mhz, using mode 2 of LLC. The pc ran stable in the tests and while playing Warzone, though in Warzone the max temp was 87°.

Question is, are these temps normal? Or should I reapply the thermal paste? I had to remove and reseat the cpu a couple times after installing the cooler the first time so I moved it around a bit with the thermal paste, but it looked evenly spread and not too much (applied dot technique).

Room temp is 28°

Last edited:
Solution
Thermal paste application is hard to screw up, unless it has specific instructions.
Too much isn't as bad as too little, but it does waste paste; excess will get pushed off the sides of the IHS by the cooler mounting pressure.

Where's the airflow with this Tor Pro chassis though?
If the reason for the current fan setup is because you're trying to keep a positive pressure setup or something, the front panel's design is making this less effective.
Heck, the side glass panel in it's default position BLOCKS one of the two side grilles at the front. Swapping the 2 side panels supposedly fixes that, but probably presents other problems...

TL;DR: 87C is high for games. I see a lack of airflow too.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thermal paste application is hard to screw up, unless it has specific instructions.
Too much isn't as bad as too little, but it does waste paste; excess will get pushed off the sides of the IHS by the cooler mounting pressure.

If the reason for the current fan setup is because you're trying to keep a positive pressure setup or something, the front panel's design is making this less effective.
Heck, the side glass panel in it's default position BLOCKS one of the two side grilles at the front. Swapping the 2 side panels supposedly fixes that, but probably presents other problems...

Solution
Aug 19, 2021

Yeah I'm thinking of getting another set of 3 fans and place two below and the other one as an extra exhaust. I had heard about the side panel and thought about turning it around but yeah, could mean more dust or air escaping through there. Might as well keep the cpu at stock values for now then. Paste is the nh-t1 so shouldn't be an issue with that

Aug 19, 2021
No complaints with the paste, but the system could do with more exhausts when the gpu is active. That's when the heat loads are at their highest.
Huh... there sure are a couple odd fan options in that chassis.
I'll probably go for the aerocool edge 14, to follow the same aesthetic and they seem okay

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They are... pretty weak. Aerocool got the pretty down, but performance got thrown to the wayside...

Aug 19, 2021
They are... pretty weak. Aerocool got the pretty down, but performance got thrown to the wayside...
Lol any other options on the cheaper side?