Question Is 88c Okay For I7-7700k When Rendering?

zealous2120

Honorable
Apr 30, 2018
Reactions: OllympianGamer
Are you overclocked to 4.8 GHz? (My own 7700K only hits those temps at 4.8 GHz, but 4.7 GHz all-core at default core voltage (1.248V) would only top 74C under a stout P95/small FFT load..; at stock clocks, 4.2 GHz all-core load would be 63C)

What is your seemingly applied core voltage, per your mainboard?
Next step would be to compare temps to someone else w/ a 7700K and a Hyper212, but, it is possible that cooler is just not cutting it...

zealous2120

Honorable
Apr 30, 2018
Are you overclocked to 4.8 GHz? (My own 7700K only hits those temps at 4.8 GHz, but 4.7 GHz all-core at default core voltage (1.248V) would only top 74C under a stout P95/small FFT load..; at stock clocks, 4.2 GHz all-core load would be 63C)

What is your seemingly applied core voltage, per your mainboard?
Next step would be to compare temps to someone else w/ a 7700K and a Hyper212, but, it is possible that cooler is just not cutting it...
I'm not overclocked, my core voltage I don't know where to find it so here's a screenshot of HWMonitor: View: https://imgur.com/a/khVBZH7

1.39V max is way too high for stock operation, and easily might be a contributing factor....

You could apply a negative offset in Intel's XTU application...

See what voltage is applied at 4.2 GHz all core, and perhaps put in enough of a negative offset to bring it down to 1.25V....

zealous2120

Honorable
Apr 30, 2018
1.39V max is way too high for stock operation, and easily might be a contributing factor....

You could apply a negative offset in Intel's XTU application...

See what voltage is applied at 4.2 GHz all core, and perhaps put in enough of a negative offset to bring it down to 1.25V....
Why is the voltage high?

I would set the voltage and clock speed. Doesn’t have to be anything high. I’d start at say 1.3v with 4.5ghz and see how that is. You’ll want to run realbench and see where your temps are. You need to run it for 8 hours to test stability. You can do it while you sleep or are away.

Reactions: Phaaze88

rodrigoxm49

Great
Oct 13, 2019
Install Cpu-Z, run Prime 95 and search for Vcore on Cpu-Z. That's the real Vcore that is being used by CPU when the demand is high.

Do you ever have upgraded BIOS? Sometimes there's a fix to avoid super high voltages spikes. What's yours motherboard model?

zealous2120

Honorable
Apr 30, 2018
You do settings in bios. Check YouTube and there’s a ton of videos on overclocking. Paste is no issue.
If I overclockhe
You do settings in bios. Check YouTube and there’s a ton of videos on overclocking. Paste is no issue.
[/QUOTE Hu
Hey sorry for the late reply, but is it possible I just need a new cooler, or just need to change the BIOS settings?

Your cooler is the cheapest one most people use, but personally I’d never use it on an I7 K series. You’re pushing the max wattage which is why your temps are so high.

It can go either way. Depends what your budget is. The proper cooling will run you closer to $80+. That will fix the issue. Other option is to manually set the voltage and speed which I would do personally even with a better cooler.

zealous2120

Honorable
Apr 30, 2018
Your cooler is the cheapest one most people use, but personally I’d never use it on an I7 K series. You’re pushing the max wattage which is why your temps are so high.

It can go either way. Depends what your budget is. The proper cooling will run you closer to $80+. That will fix the issue. Other option is to manually set the voltage and speed which I would do personally even with a better cooler.
Yeah, I probably should be using a better a cooler for this CPU.

So I downloaded CPU-Z and the readings are completely different from HWMonitor. Also when I was in my BIOS it was at about 1.1v. Is HWMonitor wrong?

Here's CPU-Z's readings:

View: https://imgur.com/ITwA23S

TRENDING THREADS