[SOLVED] Is 8gb enough RAM for Gaming/VR?

Sep 8, 2021
I'm trying to help my nephew configure a rig he'll be using mostly to play Roblox VR via Oculus Virtual Desktop app on his Quest 2 VR headset. To keep it simple (and within budget... < $1100), we've been looking at prebuilts. He's got his eye on one now that looks good except for it only has 8GB RAM.

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6
  • GTX 1660 (6GB)
  • 450M Pro4 mobo
  • 8GB DDR4 300mhz RAM
  • 500gb SSD
The official specs for the Oculous Quest 2 states a minimum of 8GB RAM, but I have a feeling that's nowhere near enough. I admittedly have very little knowledge of the gaming world (hence posting here), so maybe some of the other specs are enough to compensate?? I'd just hate for hime to fire this thing up on Xmas morning and have it perform the way under-RAM-ed machines are known to do.

And yes, upgrading to 16 (or 32) after this arrives is a definite option and probably close to being within budget, but it would be great to nail this right out of the box.

Any guidance or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I’d say you want a 2x8gb kit for a gaming rig. Also buying 8gb now and adding 8gb later is not guaranteed to work without issues, RAM is sold in matched kits for a reason.
Also keep in mind that many prebuilds nowadays come only with one stick, so single channel.
Depending on the workload that can massively impact performance. I've seen 3700X gaining close to 40% better performance in games by going from 1x8 GB single channel DDR4-3200 CL22 to 2x8 (16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL17 in dual channel.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'm trying to help my nephew configure a rig he'll be using mostly to play Roblox VR via Oculus Virtual Desktop app on his Quest 2 VR headset. To keep it simple (and within budget... < $1100), we've been looking at prebuilts. He's got his eye on one now that looks good except for it only has 8GB RAM.

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6
  • GTX 1660 (6GB)
  • 450M Pro4 mobo
  • 8GB DDR4 300mhz RAM
  • 500gb SSD
The official specs for the Oculous Quest 2 states a minimum of 8GB RAM, but I have a feeling that's nowhere near enough. I admittedly have very little knowledge of the gaming world (hence posting here), so maybe some of the other specs are enough to compensate?? I'd just hate for hime to fire this thing up on Xmas morning and have it perform the way under-RAM-ed machines are known to do.

And yes, upgrading to 16 (or 32) after this arrives is a definite option and probably close to being within budget, but it would be great to nail this right out of the box.

Any guidance or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Get a 2X8gb set as one package, 3200mhz cas 16 at the least.

Minimum is just what it says,

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

TRENDING THREADS