Question i need help with buying ram

Jun 10, 2019
Stick to 1 thread
hi,curently in my pc i have 4gb of ram so shall i buy 2x8gb and have 16gb or buy one chanel of 16gb (3200mhz) and have 20gb

Two stick configurations so that the memory runs in dual channel is much preferred over a single stick UNLESS you are running applications that can seriously use more memory and you can get a single stick with more capacity for the same price as a pair of sticks. There are a few cases where that might make more sense but in general, two stick configurations are preferred on dual channel platforms. We'll leave the four stick considerations out of the discussion at this time as it wouldn't seem to apply.

Soundar16

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
Assuming you go with one 16GB stick (3200 mhz) and pair it with existing 4GB stick. If your 4GB stick is running at any less speed, say 2666 mhz, then combined 20GB RAM speed will be at 2666 mhz. So make sure to consider the speed of existing RAM module if planning to use it in combination.

Jun 10, 2019
Two stick configurations so that the memory runs in dual channel is much preferred over a single stick UNLESS you are running applications that can seriously use more memory and you can get a single stick with more capacity for the same price as a pair of sticks. There are a few cases where that might make more sense but in general, two stick configurations are preferred on dual channel platforms. We'll leave the four stick considerations out of the discussion at this time as it wouldn't seem to apply.
for gaming which one is better,games like gta v forza horizon 4 ,need for speed payback,fortnie...

For ANYTHING, having dual channel is better if possible. The ONLY time using a configuration that does not result in dual channel would be better is if you need to add more memory to meet the requirements of a program or application and can't afford to have all paired sticks.

For gaming, you really don't need more than 16GB under any circumstances (For now at least, and probably the near future as well) and using a set of 2 x8GB sticks at just about any speed is probably better than any single stick configuration.

You still have not mentioned what CPU or motherboard you have?

Reactions: DMAN999
Jun 10, 2019
For ANYTHING, having dual channel is better if possible. The ONLY time using a configuration that does not result in dual channel would be better is if you need to add more memory to meet the requirements of a program or application and can't afford to have all paired sticks.

For gaming, you really don't need more than 16GB under any circumstances (For now at least, and probably the near future as well) and using a set of 2 x8GB sticks at just about any speed is probably better than any single stick configuration.

You still have not mentioned what CPU or motherboard you have?
thanks for reply my cpu is ryzen 3 2200g and motherbord is AM4 A320 i have integrated graphics

AM4 is the socket. A320 is the chipset. What is the MODEL of the motherboard? It will be printed directly on the motherboard somewhere if you are unsure, or you can look in Windows system information by typing msinfo32 into any run or search box and hit enter. It will be listed in the right hand column under baseboard product or baseboard model.

Jun 10, 2019
AM4 is the socket. A320 is the chipset. What is the MODEL of the motherboard? It will be printed directly on the motherboard somewhere if you are unsure, or you can look in Windows system information by typing msinfo32 into any run or search box and hit enter. It will be listed in the right hand column under baseboard product or baseboard model.
hi,thanks for answer and is there a big diference bettwen 8gb and 16gb ram?

Yes, there is. Depending on what you do, but if you are gaming on integrated graphics then both speed and capacity are important considerations. The fact that you have an A320 chipset motherboard probably limits you to a maximum of 2666mhz in any real sense.

I'd probably look at 2 x8GB of 2666mhz memory and I'd look to G.Skill and Corsair as having the most compatible options. It is also of UTMOST importance that you have the latest BIOS version installed for your motherboard. Memory is a real problem on older BIOS versions for Ryzen platforms.

Yes, 8gb of ram is enough for the majority of esports and AAA titles today. Edit: If you don't run much in the background.
Some more demanding games may max out 8gb, but they would also have issues on a 2200g.

When adding more ram, remember this:
  1. Always add another identical stick of ram. Mixing different kits can cause major problems.
  2. With AMD Ryzen APUs, ram frequency is just as important as capacity. What speed is your ram stick? If your ram stick is below 3000mhz, I would sell it and buy a new >=3000mhz 2x4gb kit.

Last edited:

ELM2721

Prominent
May 28, 2019
in my opinion . 8gb of ram is outdated now . almost all games today recommend +12GB RAM at least . it will cause some performance drops in some games especially open world like GTA 5 , ghost recon wildlands... you can check more threads about the 8gb or 16 gb ram debate.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It all depends on what else you have running while you game. If you're a purist (like me) and have just the game running, 8GB RAM is fine. But 12- 16 GB is minimum otherwise. Always use matched pairs, of course.

Edit:
Btw, I'm assuming you are using a discrete gfx card and not the iGPU. As sizzling states, that makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkRMX

logainofhades

Titan
These days, I would not consider using less than 16gb, unless you absolutely cannot afford to. There are some fairly inexpensive kits out there these days. Definitely want a matching stick of ram, and you do want at least 3000 speed. Just getting proper dual channel will make a vast improvement, as single channel cripples Ryzen performance.

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
I have also use a Ryzen 2200g and an 8gb single stick RAM believe me I really want to upgrade to more RAM. 8gb is good but it's not that good, get me? I wanna add 1 more 8gb to make sure everything's alright. But yea, you're pretty much good with 8gb I guess.

Reactions: gskill support
Jun 10, 2019
curently i have ryzen 3 2200g and 4gb of ram (vega 8) and shall i buy one chanel of 4gb ram or one of 8gb of ram bescause the difernce in money in my country is 10 $ .

in my opinion . 8gb of ram is outdated now . almost all games today recommend +12GB RAM at least . it will cause some performance drops in some games especially open world like GTA 5 , ghost recon wildlands... you can check more threads about the 8gb or 16 gb ram debate.

Totally NOT true. 8GB is still fine for the MAJORITY of games, even meeting the recommended system requirements rather than the minimal, for MOST titles.

Recommended GTA 5 System Specifications
  • OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB
  • DVD Drive

That doesn't mean that I disagree, because 16GB should be preferred especially if you plan to do ANYTHING else while gaming such as recording, streaming, running a bunch of browser tabs or any other heavy multitasking type simultaneous processes.

But for budget oriented users, 8GB is still viable. At the current price of memory you can get 16GB for less than you could have bought 8GB six months ago though, so it makes little sense to NOT get 16GB from the start. In fact, you can get 32GB of memory for about twenty bucks more than some 8GB kits were going for last year.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($116.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $116.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-19 14:05 EDT-0400