Question is 90-120fps worth it?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
my pc can do 90-120fps. i want to get a 32" 165hz 1440p monitor. i already know i can only do 60fps low settings on 1440 so i will be using it in 1080 until i can upgrade my cpu. the monitor is $370 after tax. is it worth it for the extra 30 frames?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Moving to 144Hz after using 60Hz for many years, i won't go back. Not just for games but general desktop stuff and web browsing is greatly improved too. Games, begin to notice a good difference over 85fps imo and it's a great feeling over 100.

Gsync/Freesync is another benefit to have also.

On my 1440p screen i find i don't need antialiasing in games and there's a bit of an fps boost.

Reactions: sodium.in.toilet
Jan 27, 2021
I'm going to say bottom line "no". I have a sony sf-15" (CRT) doing 1600x1200 when many had 1024x768 60fps. It cranked 120hz easy on a normal desktop with perfect contrast and color.

Let's compare to when i (upgraded? downgraded?) to iMac 21" IPS. The IPS was much lighter, the text easier to read and mostly: allot bigger text. I missed the 120Hz, felt at first that with less smooth dragging I could see less. NOPE. AFTER USE MY MONEY IS ON: 72Hz high detail high quality and LARGER SCREEN (ie, a 50" smart tv).

You will love high Hz for desktop yes. However: clean text and text size, for a coder or reader, is still king. So I will tell you if you use your PC for work - it's not true that putting all your money on Hz is better. It's only true that for two 15" CRT getting the one with higher Hz is better. But compare a 15" to a 50" ? No. You have to think about that twice is my advice. Try before you buy?

For games? I find 75Hz my personal maximum. I ran GTA at 100fps on that same monitor and to me "it was just weird, paranormal, a smoothness my eyes can't do in real life". It bothered me. I definitely prefer "max over the max details / effects" and 72Hz for gaming. Just a preference though: no need to follow me. A good 3d renderer costs the same (expensive) doing either high framerate or high detail - and high detail can just produce pretty scenes at times. Anyway no getting around the cost of 3d card for 3d gaming :)

Jan 27, 2021
your talking the cost of an OLED. this years OLED work as computer monitors. yes gamers will say their specs have a way to go. but hey - OLED looks fantastic. If you like "stopping to look" in your game, or may use your large game monitor as a TV at times. Pricewise your talking $allot so OLED should be in your consideration list.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I'm going to say bottom line "no". I have a sony sf-15" (CRT) doing 1600x1200 when many had 1024x768 60fps. It cranked 120hz easy on a normal desktop with perfect contrast and color.

Let's compare to when i (upgraded? downgraded?) to iMac 21" IPS. The IPS was much lighter, the text easier to read and mostly: allot bigger text. I missed the 120Hz, felt at first that with less smooth dragging I could see less. NOPE. AFTER USE MY MONEY IS ON: 72Hz high detail high quality and LARGER SCREEN (ie, a 50" smart tv).

You will love high Hz for desktop yes. However: clean text and text size, for a coder or reader, is still king. So I will tell you if you use your PC for work - it's not true that putting all your money on Hz is better. It's only true that for two 15" CRT getting the one with higher Hz is better. But compare a 15" to a 50" ? No. You have to think about that twice is my advice. Try before you buy?

For games? I find 75Hz my personal maximum. I ran GTA at 100fps on that same monitor and to me "it was just weird, paranormal, a smoothness my eyes can't do in real life". It bothered me. I definitely prefer "max over the max details / effects" and 72Hz for gaming. Just a preference though: no need to follow me. A good 3d renderer costs the same (expensive) doing either high framerate or high detail - and high detail can just produce pretty scenes at times. Anyway no getting around the cost of 3d card for 3d gaming :)
Is that monitor meant to have that refresh rate? My 60hz tv will "overclock" to 79hz but anything above 60 doesnt look right. It stutters and lags and tears like v sync is off. It doesnt get any smoother either. It even does this on 61hz.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS