Question Is 90% Ram the most it will run at?

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
So I've been playing the new release of gears 5 on my pc. I have an overclocked 1060 6gb but it is only running at 30-40% usage on the game, the cpu will run at abnout 60%, but my ram will lock in at 90% will not drop or go any higher, is this the max im able to use? I only have 8gb of ram and ive been wanting to upgrade to 16gb for a while but the prices where quite high until recently.

I guess my question is would my games run better if i upgraded my ram from 8 to 16gb?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Generally - No.

RAM does not equal faster performance - UNLESS you need it.

If you have 8GB of RAM, and you use 7GB of it. That means you've got 1GB sitting idle doing nothing.
If you add another 8GB of RAM to that, you'll just have 9GB sitting idle doing nothing.

IF however you are regularly using more RAM than you have (and therefore using more virtual memory) then an upgrade can help as it will allow there to be more data transferred to the RAM ready for usage, rather than being stored on slow storage drives.

RAM doesn't "process" anything, it is more like the kitchen cabinet that gets everything important together ready for you to use it, you only need a bigger cabinet, when you are filling up the one you currently have.

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
So, what else could be causing my gpu to be bottlenecked? my cpu isnt doing it, i have windows set to performance mode, is there something else that could cause the problem?

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Do you have Vsync on? Res and settings? I know for example in overwatch if I set my max frames to 80 (monitor is 75Hz) the usages drops from 99% and sounding like a jet engine to around 50
I turned v-sync off, and my gpu started to use more resources but still not 100% and also my ram is still not going above 90%