[SOLVED] is 92 degrees okay for Ryzen 5 3600?

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
Hi, I recently bought a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and it is touching 92 degree Celsius when I am playing Battlefield 1. Is it okay or should I do something about it? Thank You

Solution
my cpu was hitting in the 90's. This was the best thing I think I could have bought
Noctua NH-U12S - Premium CPU Cooler with NF-F12 120mm Fan
My temps dont ever go above 50 now. best $60 i spent. If you get it make sure you dont tighten the spring loaded screws too tight. i did and caused my CPU to go into a boot loop ;/
I'd think 92C a bit 'overly warm' for a gaming load, personally...

What is the applied core voltage (via HWMonitor) during a run of CPU-Z/bench/stress cpu? (Maybe your mainboard is running the older AGESA version, whereas the latest one from a week ago lowered average clock speeds slightly, and temps..)

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
I'd think 92C a bit 'overly warm' for a gaming load, personally...

What is the applied core voltage (via HWMonitor) during a run of CPU-Z/bench/stress cpu? (Maybe your mainboard is running the older AGESA version, whereas the latest one from a week ago lowered average clock speeds slightly, and temps..)
It says 1.025 V. Actually when I'm running BF1, the clock speed stays at 4025 MHz, but isn't the CPU clocked at 3.6? I didn't overclock anything! Also, it says that max core voltage is 1.450 V (HWinfo64 says that). Thank you!

Last edited:

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
if it hits 92 'once' as max temps its kinda ok.
If it is staying close to it, Id probably want to do something about it (at least change thermal paste?)

I assume you are using stock cooler?
YES I am using the stock cooler. How can I constantly monitor CPU temps while gaming? MSI Afterburner seems to crash my Windows 10 PC.

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
That's too high even for the stock cooler, I was only hitting the low 80s when I had the stock cooler on my 3600. What's your case/fan situation for airflow?
I use a Cooler Master HAF 912 cabinet and have one 120mm fan on the backside and another 120mm fan on the topside. Both are being used as exhausts. Should I look for something like an entry level Corsair's liquid cooler?

I use a Cooler Master HAF 912 cabinet and have one 120mm fan on the backside and another 120mm fan on the topside. Both are being used as exhausts. Should I look for something like an entry level Corsair's liquid cooler?

Heres the thing. Your CPU has a max temp of 95c, so technically no 92c isnt going to hurt the cpu, if anything your mobo will either turn off the pc at 95c, or throttle your cpu significantly to try and maintain the 95c or lower.

Now for your problem, you say you only have 2 exhaust fans and 1 being on the back, and 1 being on the top........
BUT NO INTAKE FANS! Also, are these the default case fans? If so, most are trash and dont push much air at all.

Your exhausts arent doing much at all because there is no air pressure inside the case pushing the hot air into the exhausts.

On my rig Ryzen 5 2600 with a gtx 1060 3gb, while gaming my cpu never goes above 55c and those kind of temps are what you want to be looking for. I know they are different rigs, but I feel you should be more around the 65c mark with your cpu while gaming.

Stock cooling on that CPU isnt good either considering your running at 4ghz, which btw, is the BOOST CLOCK, not the normal running speed. AMD CPUs use turbo core technology that allows the cpu to sort of "rest" when not under load, and ramp up performance when being hit with heavier tasks. A couple google searches can teach you all about it.

My advice would be to get a 3rd party cooler, even something cheap like I have the Cooler Master Hyper T2, its only like 20$ and drops avg temps by 10c on my rig. Ofc you can get better drops if you spend a little more cash, however for me this is fine.

I also advise you get at LEAST 1 intake fan in the front, whichever size your case allows for front mounting. However 2 intakes is kind of the bare minimum, but 1 would be better than nothing if on a really tight budget. Fans can be found in sets which save a little money sometimes as well.

Only after doing these things can you narrow down wether its the airflow issue, or a hardware issue, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abhisek_3

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
Heres the thing. Your CPU has a max temp of 95c, so technically no 92c isnt going to hurt the cpu, if anything your mobo will either turn off the pc at 95c, or throttle your cpu significantly to try and maintain the 95c or lower.

Now for your problem, you say you only have 2 exhaust fans and 1 being on the back, and 1 being on the top........
BUT NO INTAKE FANS! Also, are these the default case fans? If so, most are trash and dont push much air at all.

Your exhausts arent doing much at all because there is no air pressure inside the case pushing the hot air into the exhausts.

On my rig Ryzen 5 2600 with a gtx 1060 3gb, while gaming my cpu never goes above 55c and those kind of temps are what you want to be looking for. I know they are different rigs, but I feel you should be more around the 65c mark with your cpu while gaming.

Stock cooling on that CPU isnt good either considering your running at 4ghz, which btw, is the BOOST CLOCK, not the normal running speed. AMD CPUs use turbo core technology that allows the cpu to sort of "rest" when not under load, and ramp up performance when being hit with heavier tasks. A couple google searches can teach you all about it.

My advice would be to get a 3rd party cooler, even something cheap like I have the Cooler Master Hyper T2, its only like 20$ and drops avg temps by 10c on my rig. Ofc you can get better drops if you spend a little more cash, however for me this is fine.

I also advise you get at LEAST 1 intake fan in the front, whichever size your case allows for front mounting. However 2 intakes is kind of the bare minimum, but 1 would be better than nothing if on a really tight budget. Fans can be found in sets which save a little money sometimes as well.

Only after doing these things can you narrow down wether its the airflow issue, or a hardware issue, in my opinion.
Thank you. I'll add an intake fan in the front. I think that the case allows one intake/exhaust 200 mm in the front . I also changed the thermal paste (cooler master master gel) but it did not improve anything. Last night, HWinfo results showed that for battlefield 1 multiplayer, avg temp was 78℃ and max was 93℃!

Sep 24, 2019
Stock coolers in my experience(Only really used Intel though) have been extremely ineffective in dissipating heat thus I would recommend trying to replace it with some sort of Third-Party cooler. I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo and it had a massive impact compared to my stock intel cooler which was running at 85+ degrees and causing the stock-fan to make lots of noise, I hadn't known prior to purchasing my Intel i7 7700 that a stock-cooler could be this bad, safe to say I replaced it ASAP. Of-course before purchasing a Third-Party cooler ensure that you have the thermal pasting, Stock-Cooler installed properly and have sufficient airflow in your system and that it isn't being blocked. My philosophy is if your spending that much on a gaming rig and CPU why not spend the tiny fraction more for a great market cooler? Good luck hope you solve your problem.

Last edited:
It says 1.025 V. Actually when I'm running BF1, the clock speed stays at 4025 MHz, but isn't the CPU clocked at 3.6? I didn't overclock anything! Also, it says that max core voltage is 1.450 V (HWinfo64 says that). Thank you!
Hmm I have no first hand experience but I’ve seen reviews saying many of the latest BIOS’s are pushing the core voltages way too high which in turn causes very high temperatures and this seems to be happening here, 1.450 is way to high. It should be under 1.3v I believe. As I say not got my hands on this problem but seen a few reviews.

Hmm I have no first hand experience but I’ve seen reviews saying many of the latest BIOS’s are pushing the core voltages way too high which in turn causes very high temperatures and this seems to be happening here, 1.450 is way to high. It should be under 1.3v I believe. As I say not got my hands on this problem but seen a few reviews.
That's for X570 based boards on a 3900X - if this was really a problem the CPU wouldn't do an all-core boost to 4GHz, especially when heating up to these temperatures - the CPU would throttle down on the boost.

Reactions: DMAN999

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Hi OP, those temps are quite high, stock coolers are pretty useless, my cooler that came with my ryzen 3 1200 was idling at 45 - 50c and 60 - 65c under load, bought a deepcool gamma something something, don't remember the model number but it dropped idle to 29 - 32c and full load to 39 - 43c, the stock coolers i think don't have heat pipes, so pretty bad at cooling, my rig does also have 5 120mm case fans so airflow is important, the cool thing about coolers with side fans is that you can position it to blow directly to your rear exhaust fan further improving cooling. don't stick with the stock cooler

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
I'm
Hi OP, those temps are quite high, stock coolers are pretty useless, my cooler that came with my ryzen 3 1200 was idling at 45 - 50c and 60 - 65c under load, bought a deepcool gamma something something, don't remember the model number but it dropped idle to 29 - 32c and full load to 39 - 43c, the stock coolers i think don't have heat pipes, so pretty bad at cooling, my rig does also have 5 120mm case fans so airflow is important, the cool thing about coolers with side fans is that you can position it to blow directly to your rear exhaust fan further improving cooling. don't stick with the stock cooler
I'm thinking of buying a Cooler Master ML120 liquid cooler. Should I?

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
Stock coolers in my experience(Only really used Intel though) have been extremely ineffective in dissipating heat thus I would recommend trying to replace it with some sort of Third-Party cooler. I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo and it had a massive impact compared to my stock intel cooler which was running at 85+ degrees and causing the stock-fan to make lots of noise, I hadn't known prior to purchasing my Intel i7 7700 that a stock-cooler could be this bad, safe to say I replaced it ASAP. Of-course before purchasing a Third-Party cooler ensure that you have the thermal pasting, Stock-Cooler installed properly and have sufficient airflow in your system and that it isn't being blocked. My philosophy is if your spending that much on a gaming rig and CPU why not spend the tiny fraction more for a great market cooler? Good luck hope you solve your problem.
Which aftermarket cooler would you recommend for Ryzen 5 3600?

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
The HAF912 came with a pre installed 200 mm front fan for air intake, so why did you remove that?

Anyway try to run the system with the side panel removed and see what temps you are getting then?
In my case, HAF 912 came with a 120mm intake fan in the front and a 120mm exhaust fan in the back. I use both of them as dual 120mm exhausts on the topside of the cabinet, just above the amd wraith cooler.

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
if it hits 92 'once' as max temps its kinda ok.
If it is staying close to it, Id probably want to do something about it (at least change thermal paste?)

I assume you are using stock cooler?
Yes only the max temp is 92-93.6. avg is 80-85 when I'm gaming. At idle state, it's around 38-45. (Room temp 28-35, I'm from India)