[SOLVED] is 92 degrees okay for Ryzen 5 3600?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
Hi, I recently bought a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and it is touching 92 degree Celsius when I am playing Battlefield 1. Is it okay or should I do something about it? Thank You

Solution
my cpu was hitting in the 90's. This was the best thing I think I could have bought
Noctua NH-U12S - Premium CPU Cooler with NF-F12 120mm Fan
My temps dont ever go above 50 now. best $60 i spent. If you get it make sure you dont tighten the spring loaded screws too tight. i did and caused my CPU to go into a boot loop ;/

Wagne5a2

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
my cpu was hitting in the 90's. This was the best thing I think I could have bought
Noctua NH-U12S - Premium CPU Cooler with NF-F12 120mm Fan
My temps dont ever go above 50 now. best $60 i spent. If you get it make sure you dont tighten the spring loaded screws too tight. i did and caused my CPU to go into a boot loop ;/

Solution
Don't bother with an AIO liquid cooler unless you're going to get a 240 mm radiator or larger model. The 120 mm entry level models tend to cost as much and perform worse than just going big air.

Based on your high ambient temps, your gaming and max temps actually look reasonable to me for the stock air cooler. I wouldn't say getting close to the max temp for your CPU is the end of the world, but you really don't want that much heat soaking components such as capacitors which can be found in the vicinity of the CPU for extended periods of time, as they won't enjoy the same lifespan as the same component run much cooler.

As liquid coolers are recommended to be run in an intake configuration to have the coolest air moving through the radiator, you still want to address the airflow through your case. If buying a replacement intake fan is out of the question, you can always try running the system with the side panel off and see if thermals improve.

Reactions: DMAN999

InvalidError

Titan
Entry-level liquid coolers are not worth bothering with, there are many much cheaper air coolers that will do a better job without the added liabilities of liquid and the associated pump.

A properly installed stock HSF with decent case airflow should still be able to keep CPU temperatures under 90C most of the time.

Reactions: DMAN999

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
I mean the Wraith Stealth Cooler sucks! They should have provided The Prism or The Spire
Thats quite true it wouldn't have hurt, but generally speaking don't trust stock coolers supplied with the chip, its an area they can cut the biggest costs and aftermarket coolers are designed for one specific task only and that is keeping components cool, i agree that you aren't in the danger zone yet with current temps but i heard this simple analogy from one of the youtube pc builder dudes, you wouldn't drive your car at close to or on the redline of your temp gauge so why would it be safe to do on your gaming pc, high temps are bad, they wear components down faster and as mentioned above they can cause ambient temps in your case to rise without proper cooling which exposes other less heat tolerant components to higher temps. regardless if you choose air or water cooling you're going to see lower temps and also good case airflow and cable management will help keep the whole system at reasonable temps

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
I have seen people use the wraith stealth on the 3600 and hav3 better results than the op, hence why i think the issue is not with the cooler itself.

I had a wraith stealth on my 1200 with an overclock. It was a bit loud but did the job.
I have seen people use the wraith stealth on the 3600 and hav3 better results than the op, hence why i think the issue is not with the cooler itself.

I had a wraith stealth on my 1200 with an overclock. It was a bit loud but did the job.
Actually the motherboard is boosting the clock speed all by itself. It should be running at 3.6 GHz, instead it runs at 4.0-4.1 GHz. Also, the voltage goes up to 1.450. I locked it to 1.25V and 3.6 GHz and now it's not even touching 80 degrees.

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Deepcool Gammaxx GT is available at a near store. I think it is similar to Hyper 212 EVO. Thank you for your reply! Cheers
Just be careful with the brackets for AMD cpus, it's a pain to get it flush on the cpu, I almost broke my board forcing it down unnecessarily when you just need to press the clip down, I'm an amateur I know

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
Just be careful with the brackets for AMD cpus, it's a pain to get it flush on the cpu, I almost broke my board forcing it down unnecessarily when you just need to press the clip down, I'm an amateur I know
I had just nearly broken my board last monday!!! I had the stock cooler opened and changed the thermal compound. When I tried to put it back, it was sooo difficult!! I had to put a lot of pressure and i got scared a little . Its still running smoothly and i hope i didnt break anything!! I'm too an amateur

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
These temps are shocking!
These are the results that you get when you turn on Precision Boost Overdrive and let your motherboard run the CPU at 1.450V all the time. I stopped it and locked it to 1.25 V (override mode) and 3.7 GHz (minor overclocking). Now, it never even touches 82 degrees. Still not a great result but you know it helped!

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
These are the results that you get when you turn on Precision Boost Overdrive and let your motherboard run the CPU at 1.450V all the time. I stopped it and locked it to 1.25 V (override mode) and 3.7 GHz (minor overclocking). Now, it never even touches 82 degrees. Still not a great result but you know it helped!
That's interesting, so the stock cooler isn't capable of cooling the chip with those increased voltages, it would be interesting to know what max wattage the stock coolers are capable of cooling, my deep cool is rated up to 125W, also for the experts, when overclocking how do you measure what cooler you need? overclock then check the max wattage on a monitoring program and base your buy on that, in my mind ideally a chip should idle at 25 - 35c and max out at 65 - 70c any higher and i get scared, for instance my old 9800gt was touching 85 - 90c, i took off the standard fan and cable tied 2 120mm case fans to it and it was maxing out at 70c, am i a bit paranoid with temperatures?

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I have a 3900X with a Corsair H115i RGB Platinum. At idle, the temps is usually 38 degrees C and the voltage is around 0.95 volts with the Power Plan is set to Power Saver mode... I also restrict the CPU speed to 99% (which caps the CPU @3.725 GHz. My CPU temps never goes above 75 degrees.

When the Power Plan in the Control Panel is set to AMD Balanced or AMD High Power mode, the idle temps is usually about 50 degrees. The CPU speed is about 4.0-4.2 GHz and voltage is a constant 1.487 V. When under load, the temps go up to 95-100 degrees peak but usually hovers around 85-90 degrees. My other concern is that my MSi MPG X570 Gaming Carbon Pro WiFi motherboard crappy VRMs hits 100+ degrees. Other boards have better VRM designs than MSi, and their VRMs are usually 30-40 degrees cooler than MSi's.

The funny thing is when the CPU is under load with either Prime95 or Cinebench 20, all the CPU cores average about 3.8 GHz with intermittent spikes to 4.4-4.45 GHz. The 3.8 GHz speed is not much more than base clock speed so capping the CPU to 99% (3.725 GHz) is not making much of a difference for me. Plus the Power Saver mode drops the voltage to 0.95 volts on idle instead of maintaining 1.487 volts at all times so the CPU is running a LOT cooler at all times.

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
I have a 3900X with a Corsair H115i RGB Platinum. At idle, the temps is usually 38 degrees C and the voltage is around 0.95 volts with the Power Plan is set to Power Saver mode... I also restrict the CPU speed to 99% (which caps the CPU @3.725 GHz. My CPU temps never goes above 75 degrees.

When the Power Plan in the Control Panel is set to AMD Balanced or AMD High Power mode, the idle temps is usually about 50 degrees. The CPU speed is about 4.0-4.2 GHz and voltage is a constant 1.487 V. When under load, the temps go up to 95-100 degrees peak but usually hovers around 85-90 degrees. My other concern is that my MSi MPG X570 Gaming Carbon Pro WiFi motherboard crappy VRMs hits 100+ degrees. Other boards have better VRM designs than MSi, and their VRMs are usually 30-40 degrees cooler than MSi's.

The funny thing is when the CPU is under load with either Prime95 or Cinebench 20, all the CPU cores average about 3.8 GHz with intermittent spikes to 4.4-4.45 GHz. The 3.8 GHz speed is not much more than base clock speed so capping the CPU to 99% (3.725 GHz) is not making much of a difference for me. Plus the Power Saver mode drops the voltage to 0.95 volts on idle instead of maintaining 1.487 volts at all times so the CPU is running a LOT cooler at all times.
it would be interesting to hear from other 3rd gen owners if they have the same issues, under-volting a cpu's factory voltage just to keep temperatures under control should not need to be done by an end user, i mean i get that AMD needs to up voltages to get desired clock speeds but even so many if not all ryzen chips don't reach their advertised boost capability, then to add to it all they supply a cooler that cannot handle cooling the chip sufficiently leading to higher running temperatures that ultimately affect the lifespan of the chip

Reactions: Abhisek_3

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I've been building PCs since the IBM PC clones came out in the 80s so I am pretty experienced with building PCs. I agree that the BIOS updates have been buggy (I'm still on 1003AB because the 1003ABB and 1003ABBA BIOS has been too buggy for me and I reverted to the previous versions).

I have been pretty lucky with MSi boards but their mid- and low-tier X570 boards are a piece of crap. The VRMs overheat so badly, hitting 100+ degrees under the MOSFETs on the back of the motherboard (other brands only hit 65-85 degrees, only MSi hits 100 degrees). I don't overclock or fiddle with the BIOS. My CPU gets uber hot under load, 95+ degrees. I originall had the OEM AMD Wraith Prism cooler and the temps hit 100+ degrees and the H115i only helps by about 5+ degrees (but is a lot quieter). I have read online reviews where some people experience the same temps as me and yet a small number seem to get temps in the 80s when under load.

What I don't understand is why the CPU is always running at 1.487 volts. I have never seen a CPU that does not drop the voltage when not under load. My old Intel i7 6700K temps ran only 25 degrees C at 1.0 V and that was using a Gemini S524 Air cooler when idle. Under load, the CPU would only hit 70 degrees.

That is the price we pay for being initial buyers of new PC tech. We end up being the guinea pigs until everyone gets their act together and release updated boards. But we are left with no recourse for manufacturers shoddy first gen products...

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
^ That definitely sounds like an issue with the MSI BIOS.
My 3700x idles at 30 to 32c and maxes out at 60 to 62c after hours of gaming, streaming, encoding videos, etc.
My voltage idles around .8 to .9v and maxes out around 1.35 to 1.38v with an occasional split second jump up to 1.4, 1.41 or even 1.48v depending on the load.
I use the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan with the Processor set at 10% minimum and 100% maximum.
I have an Asus ROG Strix B450-F with the latest BIOS with 1.0.0.3ABBA AGESA.

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
^ That definitely sounds like an issue with the MSI BIOS.
My 3700x idles at 30 to 32c and maxes out at 60 to 62c after hours of gaming, streaming, encoding videos, etc.
My voltage idles around .8 to .9v and maxes out around 1.35 to 1.38v with an occasional split second jump up to 1.4, 1.41 or even 1.48v depending on the load.
I use the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan with the Processor set at 10% minimum and 100% maximum.
I have an Asus ROG Strix B450-F with the latest BIOS with 1.0.0.3ABBA AGESA.
I understand that a 3700X generates more heat than a 3600 but actually you get a better, a lot better stock cooler with it. We have to deal with a Wraith Stealth, which is the cheapest Ryzen cooler from AMD.

Abhisek_3

Honorable
Aug 28, 2016
it would be interesting to hear from other 3rd gen owners if they have the same issues, under-volting a cpu's factory voltage just to keep temperatures under control should not need to be done by an end user, i mean i get that AMD needs to up voltages to get desired clock speeds but even so many if not all ryzen chips don't reach their advertised boost capability, then to add to it all they supply a cooler that cannot handle cooling the chip sufficiently leading to higher running temperatures that ultimately affect the lifespan of the chip
I never understood why my processor was running at 1.450V when AMD said that 1.45 is the highest voltage you should apply to a 3rd gen R5. Their own "BOOST MODE" softwares are pushing their processors to the limit without even notifying the user! When I bought this system, it was kept turned on by default. Why? Do the company want us to buy a brand new AMD processor as soon as possible? do I HAVE to learn what BIOS settings are? Why isn't AMD helping people who do not know anything about systems! They are providing these stupid boost or overdrive modes with their fancy names and aren't providing a cooler good enough to keep the temperature under control, ultimately leading towards throttling. I hope my new Deepcool GAMMAXX GT Cooler works!