Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
According to userbenchmarks, the 9600k overclocked close to matches the performance of the 9900k which is apparently the most powerful CPU today? How much does this card live up to these boasts? Or am I just better off getting a Ryzen 5 for a similar price? I'm a streamer so the "computer workload" aspect of the Ryzen is enticing. I'm also a tad intimidated by overclocking so I'm trying to learn as much about it as well before making any final decisions.

Solution
9600k overclocked is similar in performance to a 9700k or 9900k in most games. For any other task it will be slower than a similarly priced Ryzen.

Majority of game performance is still tied to single core clock speed, which it has in abundance. There are some games that benefit from more than six cores, and you should see it start to do less well in those titles.

Hard to recommend any Intel locked processor over AMD, but the i5-9600k just squeeks in to be being feasible. Keep in mind you still need an expensive motherboard and a CPU cooler, so consider that in the cost. But if you overclock it to ~5ish Ghz it will certainly get things done in games.

If you stream, then I would say look at an R7-3700x for the best results at a...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
9600k overclocked is similar in performance to a 9700k or 9900k in most games. For any other task it will be slower than a similarly priced Ryzen.

Majority of game performance is still tied to single core clock speed, which it has in abundance. There are some games that benefit from more than six cores, and you should see it start to do less well in those titles.

Hard to recommend any Intel locked processor over AMD, but the i5-9600k just squeeks in to be being feasible. Keep in mind you still need an expensive motherboard and a CPU cooler, so consider that in the cost. But if you overclock it to ~5ish Ghz it will certainly get things done in games.

If you stream, then I would say look at an R7-3700x for the best results at a reasonable price point. R5-3600 is still good though. Overclocking is possible, but not really worth it from everything I have read about Ryzen 3rd gen.

Solution