Is 9800 Pro 128 fried?

antonio

was just doing some browsing and doing some work... re-booted my
computer and now the second the card outputs anything it is covered in
garbled large colored 1982 atari type blocks and i can still see some
things in the background but it's covered and unreadable from the
second it posts.

I pulled it out re-seated it. i've tried the card in a different
computer and the same problem. I've also put my 8500 back in the
machine and it works fine.

DAMN i just got this thing a few weeks ago...

What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks

antonio3@gmail.com (Antonio) wrote in message news:<ea56f938.0406261334.17a8a19e@posting.google.com>...
> was just doing some browsing and doing some work... re-booted my
> computer and now the second the card outputs anything it is covered in
> garbled large colored 1982 atari type blocks and i can still see some
> things in the background but it's covered and unreadable from the
> second it posts.
>
> I pulled it out re-seated it. i've tried the card in a different
> computer and the same problem. I've also put my 8500 back in the
> machine and it works fine.
>
> DAMN i just got this thing a few weeks ago...
>
> What do you guys/gals think?
>
> Thanks

Mmm, deep fried..try it with some chips and some ketchup!

In article <ea56f938.0406261334.17a8a19e@posting.google.com>, Antonio
says...
> was just doing some browsing and doing some work... re-booted my
> computer and now the second the card outputs anything it is covered in
> garbled large colored 1982 atari type blocks and i can still see some
> things in the background but it's covered and unreadable from the
> second it posts.
>
> I pulled it out re-seated it. i've tried the card in a different
> computer and the same problem. I've also put my 8500 back in the
> machine and it works fine.
>
> DAMN i just got this thing a few weeks ago...
>
> What do you guys/gals think?

Fried.

--
Conor

Dumb as a box of rocks...

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 23:56:44 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <ea56f938.0406261334.17a8a19e@posting.google.com>, Antonio
>says...
>> was just doing some browsing and doing some work... re-booted my
>> computer and now the second the card outputs anything it is covered in
>> garbled large colored 1982 atari type blocks and i can still see some
>> things in the background but it's covered and unreadable from the
>> second it posts.
>>
>> I pulled it out re-seated it. i've tried the card in a different
>> computer and the same problem. I've also put my 8500 back in the
>> machine and it works fine.
>>
>> DAMN i just got this thing a few weeks ago...

Warranty exchange.

Don't ever overclock one of these without adding extra
cooling. The default cooling is marginal.

Don't ever put a card in the PCI slot immediately beside
a 9800 or 9700 ( or X800 ). It steeply raises the probability
of the graphics card dying suddenly of heat exhaustion.

Excess thermal stress usually causes silicon to fail with
no prior warning. A modern GPU has many, many thousands
of interconnects between silicon layers. Repeated excess-range
heat-cycles can cause one of these interconnects to fail.
Onoly takes one to turn a GPU into a useless lump
of expensive silicon.

In your case, the GPU might have been reliability-marginal
anyway.

John Lewis

John Lewis

John Lewis

>> What do you guys/gals think?
>>
>Fried.
>
>--
>Conor
>
>Dumb as a box of rocks...

Are you using an overclocking utility that runs at startup? Might be that this is causing issues
because it has a corrupt configuration. Powerstrip often does this to me, but all I have to do is
reset it. Try booting without any overclocker utility, including the ones that might be running at
startup and then staying resident (ie powerstrip)....

If thats not your problem (and it starts with the atari nonsense before the OS loads), then I'd
tend towards thinking you have fried something.

Conor wrote:
> In article <ea56f938.0406261334.17a8a19e@posting.google.com>, Antonio
> says...
>> was just doing some browsing and doing some work... re-booted my
>> computer and now the second the card outputs anything it is covered
>> in garbled large colored 1982 atari type blocks and i can still see
>> some things in the background but it's covered and unreadable from
>> the second it posts.
>>
>> I pulled it out re-seated it. i've tried the card in a different
>> computer and the same problem. I've also put my 8500 back in the
>> machine and it works fine.
>>
>> DAMN i just got this thing a few weeks ago...
>>
>> What do you guys/gals think?
>>
> Fried.

antonio

Nope never touched or messed with overclocking because i sometimes
work from home and just can't raise the odds of a crash or random
reboot. So this was out of the box into the machine for about 2 weeks
without any problems. It just happened on it's own.

Thanks guys already got an RMA from ATI
Antonio